There is a January Call of Duty: WWII update coming this today with important updates and it paves the way for The Resistance, the first Call of Duty: WWII DLC map pack. Over three months after the release of the new Call of Duty, and well ahead of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, there are still many key changes coming to the game that will impact the way you play.
We’ve been through so many weapons changes it’s a challenge to stay on top of them, and another one dropped today ahead of a major update. We’ve also learned that we will not see major changes to ADS out of a Sprint, but we are seeing some changes to ADS on specific weapons and there is work being done on the Spectator bug.
This is what you need to know about the January Call of Duty: WWII update that is coming later today, before the first DLC arrives on PS4 later this month.
January Call of Duty: WWII Update Release Date
The January Call of Duty: WWII update release date is set for today. Studio head Micheal Condrey announced the update on Reddit saying, “There’s a game update coming with some key fixes too. Plus a host of additional news that we look forward to sharing in the days ahead.” This week Condrey confirmed the update is coming on January 23rd.
The Call of Duty: WWII DLC 1 maps and zombies arrive on January 30th, and it makes sense for any game update to arrive before the new content, not a day after. It’s not clear if the maps will come as part of the update, which could push the size, but that’s been done with the first DLC on other Call of Duty games.
January Call of Duty: WWII Update Release Time
Sledgehammer Games did not confirm a specific January Call of Duty: WWII update release time, but thankfully they are predictable for Xbox One and PS4. We know that the team is working on updates for both consoles and PC, but there may be a small delay between the release times and sometimes the PC release date is a little later.
Condrey referred to the update coming in the morning, which lines up with previous releases. For the most part, you can expect to see the January Call of Duty: WWII update land around 1PM Eastern, 10 AM Pacific. This is when most updates arrive including smaller weapons tuning updates.
January Call of Duty: WWII Update 1.09: What’s New
Thanks to multiple updates through social channels we know some of the changes and what’s new in the January Call of Duty: WWII update. This is an important update that will include key changes and it comes right after a weapons tuning update.
Today, January 18th, Sledgehammer Games pushed out a weapons tuning update that includes the following changes. You don’t need to wait for the full update to see these changes in action. This also includes small maps updates.
WEAPON TUNING ADJUSTMENTS
- Recoil buff
- Slight fire rate buff
- Recoil adjustment to give player more control
- ADS transition time buff
- ADS transition time nerf
- ADS transition time buff
- Slight Max Damage range nerf, still overall buff to where it was at launch of game
- Max and Mid Damage range buff
- Buff to number of pellets to kill
- Reload time buff
- Hip spread nerf
- Moved defensive start spawns in S&D on Sainte Marie du Mont
- Moved CTF flag positions back on London Docks
In the full update we will see the following fixes as confirmed by Condrey in a Reddit post this week. Here’s the full list of what’s new in the update.
- Integrated spectator issue fix that went live on PC. The issue is network connection dependent, however this fix prioritizes model streaming order to eliminate the delay seen on initial start. We will continue to monitor on all platforms for any Phase 2 fixes needed.
- Fixed issue with equipping scorestreaks upon spawning in after dying
- Fixed issue where when player accepts invite to HQ, game crashes with a fatal error or lost host connection
- Fixed game crash issue in Operation Neptune
- Fixed various console performance/lag issues with low frame rate, teleporting, delayed hit markers, and hitching
- Sped up health regeneration
- Removed shell shock from friendly explosions
- Fixed issue where scrolling causes game to crash
- Improved map voting functionality
- Fixed unlock Token issues with split screen
- Fixed hard crash issues occurring mid-match
- Fixed various functionality and disconnect issues due to host migration/inactivity
- Fixed issue where player is stuck on launcher tier after simultaneously killing self and another player with Panzerschreck
- Fixed issue where players were unable to connect and receiving error “Couldn’t connect to server because the data is incompatible.”
- Fixed various split screen functionality issues
- Fixed issue in Operation Griffin where buildable wall leading to Fuel Depot A is nonexistent after supposedly being built
- Fixed various out of map exploits
- Fixed issue where players were unable to win Gun Game by killing enemies with the throwing knife
- Fixed rare issue where player loaded into an unbalanced 7v5 Gridiron match
- Fixed issue in S&D where players are temporarily stuck after Planting the Bomb or executing a Fatal Melee
- Fixed issue with Gridiron AI dropping ball and not playing to objective
- Fixed issue in S&D and CTF where players were seeing incorrect Draw/Defeat messages
- Fixed issue with invitees being “kicked for inactivity”
- Fixed various Firing Range issues
- Fixed issues with party members’ functionality loss results from leader’s actions
- Fixed issue where players experience a hard crash when attempting to join HQ after a match
- Fixed issues with party invites
- Fixed various party system functionality issues
- Fixed split screen issue where first-time users see placeholder images/text after leaving first match and selecting HQ
- Moved HQ from being the first default option
- Fixed issue in Mail where false notifications were appearing
- Fixed issue where weapon attachments were not appearing in AAR
- Fixed issues with Payroll collection UI
- Added message stating that using open NAT and network cable could improve UX
- Fixed various UI issues with emblems
- Other various UI fixes and improvements
- Fixed issue where Infantry, Primed Basic Training, and Hunker Basic Training were not working as intended
- Fixed Prestige exploit
- Fixed issue with weapon stats failing to track properly
Orders, Contracts, Challenges
- Fixed inconsistencies and issues with TDM and DOM Kill Contracts
- Fixed issue where various Orders were not tracking properly
- Fixed issue where various Orders were not completing properly
- Fixed issue where players were not able to obtain certain Weekly Orders from Major Howard
- Fixed issue where only Concussion Grenades were counting towards the “Get 5 kills on enemies affected by a tactical grenade” Order
- Fixed issue where volume of some announcer VO lines in War Mode were louder than intended
- Turned down foley footstep volume, as well as other players’ footstep volume
- Fixed issue where players could hear enemies through voice chat during a match
- Various SFX improvements
- Fixed issue where at start of game, not all arrows on map were placed at valid positions
- Improved Sky Cam (Hammer Cam) functionality
- Fixed issues with Display and Division settings menus
- Various UI fixes and improvements
- Improved scrolling functionality
- Fixed issue where opening a supply drop after purchasing kicks players back to the previous menu
- Fixed issue where stats were not accurately tracking on scoreboard
- Fixed issue where when transitioning between menus during a match countdown, a loss was temporarily added to the player’s record
- Fixed UI issues with rank icons
- Combat records are not updated aside from Ranked Play stats when playing in Ranked Play games
- Improved MMR logic
- Improved consistency of Placement Matches to reflect actual wins/losses
- Fixed party size and matchmaking exploits
- Fixed issue where players lose MMR after completing a duo match
- Fixed issue where MP Divisions were replaced with Ranked Play Divisions when players left Ranked matches
- Fixed additional issues in Ranked Play with wins counting as losses
- Fixed issue where Ranked Play stats were counting towards Global stats
- Other various UI fixes and improvements
WEAPON AND SCORESTREAK FIXES/ADJUSTMENTS
- Fixed functionality issues with Mortar Strike and Care Package
- Fixed issue where the Capo Verde GPMG was showing the body for the Fiore Di Morte
- Fixed issue where not all variants of the weapons that were tuned last week received the tuning changes
- Fixed issue where user did not auto-switch to secondary melee weapon when primary ran out of ammo
- Fixed issue where Akimbo pistol attachment was overriding weapon tuning
- Fixed issue that allowed players to equip a Scorestreak without consuming it
- Fixed issue where double reload happens on its own
- Fixed Ice Pick UI and equipping issues
- Fixed various reticle inconsistencies
- Fixed Iron Sights and reticle inconsistencies/alignment on GPMG and SVT-40
- Fixed issue with equipping Molotovs after using Fighter Pilot scorestreak
- Fixed display issues with Trench Knife and its variants
- Nerfed Camouflage so special meter drains faster
- Nerfed the ammo multiplier of Fully Loaded in conjunction with buffing reserve ammo multiplier for all weapons, so the net total is nearly unchanged
- Fixed issue where players were able to equip multiple scope attachments and multiple of the same attachment
- Improved notifications for when players receive a supply drop
- Fixed Prestige exploits
- Fixed issue where players were unable to use base weapons without having to complete a Challenge or Collection
- Fixed issue where mods were not properly applied in-game after selection
- Fixed issues with Jack in the Box after respawning
- Fixed countdown timer issues
- Fixed issue where signing into split screen profile causes title to hang for up to two minutes
- Various UI fixes and improvements
- Various audio fixes and improvements
- Fixed various map exploits
- Fixed various party system issues
- Resistance Event items
- Implemented custom emblem sharing
We could also see a new Domination XL playlist in the very near future that boosts the points per kill from 50 to 100 and other changes. Sledgehammer Games is testing a new health regen time that would speed up health gain after a shootout, but it’s unclear if it is going to be ready for this update.
What’s Not In the January Call of Duty: WWII Update
We know that you will not see any changes to the ADS Time out of Sprint in the January Call of Duty: WWII update, or any near term update for that matter. Condrey shares a long explanation, but basically says it’s not happening. Here’s the full response on why you won’t see even a slightly faster ADS out fo Sprint in Call of Duty: WWII.
“In past Call of Duty games the Dexterity perk made the ADS time out of sprint faster, in some cases +50% faster than without dexterity. This made it a crutch perk and by far the most used perk in those games. We initially had a Basic Training that offered this functionality, but found that it was once again being chosen much more often than the other options presented. When there’s a “crutch” perk like this, it results in a non-choice for players since they feel they need to take that perk or Basic Training just to be competitive. This problem was exacerbated with our Divisions CAC system which promotes a more focused playstyle through a sole, meaningful Basic Training choice rather than a multi-choice Pick system.
Additionally, a main design pillar we had in this game was “boots on the ground in a WW2 era.” That meant more than just not having boost jump and an arsenal of speed buffs; it also meant a return to an overall more strategic and slower pace of conflict. The removal of boost / thrust also gave us predictable places from which threats could appear, and a more consistent closing speed between players. The question for us became, “Do we want a crutch perk that also makes the game play faster?” Our answer was no.
Given that, we decided to make the ADS time out of sprint the same as the normal ADS time and not offer a means to make it faster. We do have the Quickdraw attachment, which makes ADS speed faster across the board and, as you can imagine, it’s super popular. A dexterity perk + quickdraw attachment “crutch combo’ just didn’t work for our design ambitions and game feel for WWII.
We have discussed a buff to ADS sprint out times for Airborne, but we already have an SMG heavy meta and we’re not convinced that’s the best option for the game. I don’t think a Dexterity Basic Training is either. Perhaps a new movement focused Division, with other trade-offs built in, would be a future option (but don’t hold us to that).
I’m sure for some people this will go down like a lead ballon(sic). Given everything we see across all players, regions, game modes, skill levels, etc, we’re definitely listening here but not acting on any sprint out changes in the short term. Hope this update helps provide context, if nothing more.”
The Resistance Call of Duty: WWII DLC Content
While not specifically a part of the update, we traditionally see a major update pave the way for the new Call of Duty DLC content and we expect this is the case in January.
The Resistance Call of Duty: WWII DLC map pack 1 includes three new multiplayer maps, a new war mode map and a new zombies experience. One of the three new maps is a re-imagining, so keep that in mind.
Players can buy The Resistance as a standalone DLC for $14.99 or buy the Call of Duty: WWII Season Pass for $49.99 and get four map packs.
3 Reasons Not to Buy the Apple Watch 4 & 5 Reasons You Should
The all new Apple Watch 4 features a bigger screen, all new features and several great reasons to buy the...
40 Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Tips & Tricks
In this guide we share a big list of over 40 Galaxy Note 9 tips, tricks or hidden features. That way...