Back in early September Motorola announced and released a trio of new Android smartphones, the 2nd Gen Moto 360 smartwatch, and surprised many with a new Moto 360 Sport smartwatch. Since then all of the devices have been released, except for the Moto 360 Sport. Today, Motorola finally revealed it will be available starting December 18th.
Last year the Moto 360 was the most popular Android smartwatch, which arrived before the Apple Watch, and ran Google’s forked version of Android called Android Wear. Making our watch an extension of our smartphones for easy access, quick notifications, checking and replying to emails or texts and much more. However, since then most wearable devices have moved towards the fitness market, and today Motorola is doing the same.
The 2nd Gen Moto 360 was announced in early September and has been one of the most popular smartwatches again. Offering a big round display in two sizes, more customization than any smartwatch to date, and beautiful genuine leather materials. More on the Moto 360 can be found above, but those outdoorsy users and fitness fanatics will want to read on for the Moto 360 Sport release date and details.
When Motorola announced the new 2nd Gen Moto 360 smartwatch they also confirmed a better, more rugged and durable version called the Moto 360 Sport was coming soon, but that’s about all they had to share back in September. They did however state it had brand new screen technology making it great to view while outdoors, it’s water-resistant, and comes in an array of different options and band colors. Today, we have everything buyers need to know.
The Moto 360 Sport will officially be released on December 18th in the UK and France, but we don’t have good news for those in the United States. The fitness-themed wearable smartwatch won’t be available in the US until January 7th, and will be priced at $299. Users will also be available to pickup or try the Moto 360 Sport in Best Buy stores around the country starting on January 10th. Just in time for those New Years resolutions. It will also be available in Brazil, Canada, China, Mexico and Spain sometime during the new year in 2016, but no exact date was given.
Motorola’s new smartwatch is made for the outdoors, built to last, has its own GPS chip (unlike most smartwatches) so it doesn’t always need to be tethered or connected to a smartphone to give runners or users valuable data.
The Moto 360 Sport is very similar to the current 2nd Gen Moto 360, but has a lot of small changes or improvements to make it more fitness oriented, to be more durable, and as we said above, work better outdoors. It has an “AnyLight hybrid LCD display” that is bright, but also dim and crisp while indoors, which promises to look good, but still preserve battery life. Here’s what Motorola had to say about the new Moto 360 Sport:
- Designed for sports. Built to last: Push yourself to the limit without worrying about your watch. Strong silicone construction doesn’t absorb sweat and resists fading or staining, while side ventilation channels help you stay cool.
- Built-in GPS keeps you going: Moto 360 Sport has built-in GPS that works seamlessly with Moto Body to measure your performance. Track your distance traveled, pace, lap times and more. There’s no need to carry your phone to know exactly how you’re doing.
- Popular fitness apps: Moto 360 Sport works seamlessly with Android fitness apps including MapMyRun, Under Armour Record, Strava, Google Fit and Fitbit. Moto Body records your workout data and syncs with these apps, so your exercise history is always up to date.
- Heart rate at a glance: Continuously track your heart rate during a run to monitor your performance. And with Moto Body, measure the time you spend in different heart rate zones to make sure you’re achieving your fitness goals
- Brilliant, indoors and out: Motorola AnyLight is the world’s first hybrid display that lets you see things clearly both indoors and out. Indoors, it works like any beautiful LCD screen. Step outside and it reflects natural sunlight, making the screen easy to read.
- Better view. All the way around: On a watch face, every millimeter counts. The classic round design of Moto 360 Sport features edge-to-edge glass and an exceptionally thin bezel, giving you the most viewing area in the least amount of space.
- Wear it for life: Moto 360 Sport gives you the power of Android Wear, so you can keep up with your entire life, not just your workouts. Read Gmail messages and calendar invites, reply to friends on WhatsApp, get up-to-the-minute traffic and weather reports, and so much more of what matters to you all while staying in the zone.
- Music on the move: Sync your favorite playlists and podcasts from Google Play Music with your Moto 360 Sport, then listen to music on your run or at the gym without taking your phone along for the ride.
- Just a little coaching: Receive spontaneous notifications throughout the day that keep you informed, up to date and inspired. Plus get a weekly email summarizing your progress, or even more detailed information using the Moto Body phone app.
- All day battery. Even in Ambient Mode: The new Moto 360 Sport gives you better battery life than ever before. Now with Ambient Mode turned on, the time is always visible and the battery still lasts an entire day.
Based on the images and what we’ve seen so far the Moto 360 Sport has a 42mm display, not the bigger screen that’s available on the regular 360, but will reach out to Motorola for clarification.
The Moto 360 Sport will come in three color options at launch: Black with Grey bezel, White with White bezel, and Red with Grey bezel. It will be $299 on Motorola.com or Best Buy, and available in the United States from January 7th, and in the UK on December 18th.
Which HP Spectre x360 to Buy
The HP Spectre x360 is one of the best HP laptops that you can buy, but it can be tough to...
50+ Exciting Things You Can Do With the Apple Watch
The Apple Watch is a smartwatch that connects to your iPhone to deliver notifications, make calls, send texts and run...