Adult Swim’s popular foul mouthed cartoon Rick & Morty is now a mobile game that people can’t seem to put down. It’s called Pocket Mortys, and was recently released for Android and iPhone. This Pokemon-style game is as great as the TV show, but very complex. Here we’ll be going over a few early tips and tricks to help players get the most from Pocket Mortys.
Pocket Mortys is like an adult version of Pokemon, right down to battling other characters and trying to collect the more than 82 different Mortys. At first we thought there was only 70 or so, but as more players continue through the game we’re finding there are a lot more in different dimensions, super rare Mortys and more.
Our goal here isn’t to go into every little detail about Rick and Morty, Pocket Mortys as a game, how to craft mind control chips or explore the more than 100 different dimensions, but rather give players a few useful tips and tricks to get them started on this hit new mobile game.
There are so many Mortys, but so little time. You’ve gotta catch ’em all. Seriously, the game is extremely similar to Pokemon, which is part of the reason for the instant success on both Android and iPhone. The game has only been available about a week, but has soared to the top 10 most downloaded on both platforms. It’s that popular, or that good.
Users will be exploring worlds or “dimensions” to find and collect different Morty’s, battling other Morty collectors, crafting items, healing Morty during attacks and much much more. It’s well made and pretty addictive so far, but I have a feeling some will either play it non-stop, or get sick of trying to win outmatched fights, deal with bosses, and capture all the Mortys available. With that in mind we have a few tips that could help ease players throughout the game at the beginning, and beyond.
In the beginning after defeating a few Morty trainers, taking a defeat is an easy way to reset your health. Then use this time to wander around and find items you can use to craft things, but more on that below. While there are some huge Pocket Morty guides already around, we’ve decided to share some helpful tips and tricks in very simple terms that everyone who plays the game can understand, find them useful, and enjoy this one of a kind new game. Eventually you’ll be able to catch all the Mortys. Here’s a small list of some of the more than 82 different types.
Good luck trying to find and capture Mascot Morty. You could visit dozens of dimensions and never find one. We’re hearing this is a bug in the game, and he’ll be added in a future update. Don’t worry though, these few helpful tips should get everyone started in the right direction from the beginning.
First off, you’ll need to learn how to get around, earn your badges, figure out how to catch Mortys, then learn the elements of each Morty. Every Morty belongs to a specific elements: rock, paper or scissors. As we all know, rock beats scissors, scissors beats paper and paper beats rock. You should always have all three elements with you, to be in the best position to battle and capture more Mortys.
Try and figure out what type of Morty you’re facing, and use that to your advantage. After your first win you get to switch or choose your Morty, choose what you need, and do it wisely. This will help down the stretch. Players can switch Mortys whenever, but you lose health and a move when you do. With that out of the way, here are some helpful tips that go along with what we explained above.
- Capture one of each Morty Element as soon as possible
- Evolve and combine duplicate Mortys at the Citadel, for better Mortys
- Learn how to craft items (like Mind Control Chips)
- Avoid unnecessary battles unless you are trying to level up your Mortys. This saves health for important battles. If you accidentally start a fight just quit the game and restart it. You will spawn in the same spot before the battle. Phew!
- Craft items as often as possible because you never know when you will need to heal an injured Morty.
- Again, don’t forget to heal your Mortys at the Citadel of Ricks. It’s easy to go in and out of dimensions and forget about the healing center. Return, heal Mortys, and have items ready for when they’re truly needed.
- The more badges you get from Ricks, the stronger Ricks in other dimensions become. Make sure to level up your Mortys at the same time so you’re ready for the competition.
- Don’t waste meeseeks boxes. Instead, save them for important must-win battles.
- Morty’s Top out at Level 100, but that doesn’t mean you have to stop boosting his attack and defense stats. Keep going and going and going.
- Make deals in the Citadel by finding characters with an exclamation mark above their head. They ask for an item, and you’ll always get something better in return. Do this often.
- Again, craft items using craft benches as often as possible. To avoid spending money on Blips and Chitz tickets.
- With enough Mind Control Chips you can fill up and make a hand-picked team, and battle for any and all Mortys. This is crucial. Here’s a link to all the recipes in the game, for those who’d rather not learn on their own.
- Once you have a good team of Mortys, go on the prowl for Rare Mortys. You’ll want one of each element, and a few rares for any occasion.
- Clear the story mode quick, then use the Portal to find fights. Fights from the portal earn a lot more than watching in-game video ads. That’s almost a waste of time.
- Last but not least, Morty trainers follow Pokémon rules, they only challenge you if you’re seen. Try to sneak around behind them if possible. You can even sneak past in front of them, if you exit the screen before going into their field of view. Sneak around everywhere when you need to.
Of course there is a lot more to Pocket Mortys than the small list above, but we could go on and on forever about it. There are so many dimensions, tons of different combinations, recipes that can help you out and more. This game is simple in a way, but complex, extremely addictive, and sure to have fans of the show playing for hours on end.
Don’t forget to say Wubba Lubba Dub Dub and go download Pocket Mortys today from the Google Play Store, or the iTunes App Store. Good luck, and drop us comments below with any details we may have left out to help others.