Pogoplug Biz: A Private Cloud For Your Small Business
Cloud Engines introduced the Pogoplug Biz, a device that allows people to quickly and easily set up private clouds for their small businesses or small groups. The device is very similar to the Pogoplug, which our own Warner Crocker often raves about, but has a few extra bells and whistles.
The Pogoplug Biz allows you to set up users and adjust their permissions to your liking. There’s a ‘view only’ setting which can be used to show clients/prospects your work, but which does not allow them to download the files.
One of my favorite features is that it allows users to automatically backup their files to a second off-site Pogoplug. Another thing I like about this device, which I was unaware of until I read the specs, is that it’s completely platform agnostic. It works with any OS, any browser and any hard drive format. This is important for users like me who have a smattering of NTFS and Mac drives loaded up with TB”s of data.
The Pogoplug Biz is available for pre-order from Pogoplug.com for $299.
– Usage Statistics and Auditing: quickly access a summary of how many times a file or folder has been viewed, streamed or downloaded. Keep track of the number of views, streams, and downloads.
– Customization: customize the look and feel of the Pogoplug interface, including the color, logo, domain name and background image. Customize the look and feel of emails that are sent when you share files.
– Custom Email Addresses: claim your own custom email addresses and let your clients email files to your Pogoplug. Create an unlimited number of custom upload folders and give them each a unique email address to share with your clients.
– Cloud/Mobile Printing: print from any mobile device, including the iPhone and iPad. Print to any printer connected to Pogoplug, from anywhere.
– Web View-Only Sharing: share viewable files over the web while preventing them from being downloaded. Web View is perfect for creative professionals and photographers who want to show clients previews of work but not allow them to download the files.
– Multiple Users: allows an administrator to set access levels and storage quotas for individual users.
– Remote backup: continuously mirror all or part of your Pogoplug storage to a second Pogoplug in a remote location.
07/22/2010 at 2:53 pm
Xavier- would you be able to compare this device with the Seagate device that networks with the home computers and can be accessed by handhelds over the internet using Pogo’s service?
07/22/2010 at 9:02 pm
Sure- if/when we get both units in. From what I understand the Seagate device requires GoFlex drives, which have a unique interface. Will look into it more though.
07/23/2010 at 7:10 pm
07/25/2010 at 8:22 am
For automatic backups, can the second pogoplug be a regular version pogoplug or does it need to be the Biz version too? I have a regular pogoplug now, would be good to use it as an offsite backup.