Verizon has just made the Samsung Droid Charge official and the carrier will be offering the 4G LTE enabled device for a whopping $299 on contract once April 28th rolls around.
While the Droid Charge was announced back at CES, it was done so without an official name, release date or price attached to it. Thankfully, Big Red made all of those things official today, all of which should come with little to no surprise to most of you out there.
Sadly, there were no surprises attached to the launch so if you’ve been following along with the Droid Charge coverage, you already know what’s going to be hitting shelves next Thursday.
The Droid Charge comes equipped with a 4.3″ Super AMOLED Plus display, a single-core 1GHz processor, an 8MP rear camera, a 1.3MP camera, 4G LTE capabilities, and it will be powered by Android 2.2 Froyo with Samsung’s TouchWiz software on top of it.
For those interested, there is also a Droid Charge related scavenger hunt that will be beginning in t-minus 9 hours and 43 minutes from the time I wrote this. Expect a bunch of free stuff, including phones, to be given away.
Also, for those discouraged by that $300 price tag, don’t be. That price is MSRP and there will definitely be some discounts coming soon.
VERIZON WIRELESS UNLEASHES DROID CHARGE BY SAMSUNG
DROID Charge Joins Verizon Wireless’ Android Family as Samsung’s First 4G LTE Smartphone
BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) today announced that the DROID Charge by Samsung will be available for purchase on April 28 in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com.
The DROID Charge is designed with Samsung’s 4.3-inch Super AMOLED™ Plus display, setting a new touchscreen standard for brightness, clarity and outdoor visibility. The DROID Charge is equipped with both a rear-facing 8-megapixel camera with LED flash and front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for both stills and video chatting. The smartphone’s 1 GHz application processor and HTML 5 Web browser maximizes high-speed 4G LTE connectivity for faster downloads and graphics processing
- 4G LTE – Customers can expect download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G Mobile Broadband coverage area
- Android 2.2 platform – Support for Google Mobile Services including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk, Google Search, Google Maps and access to more than 150,000 apps available to download from Android Market™
- Adobe® Flash® Player compatible
- Mobile Hotspot capability – Share 4G connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices or a 3G connection with up to 5 devices
- Samsung Media Hub – Samsung’s own content service, offering a vast lineup of critically acclaimed films and TV programs for rent or purchase
- Virtual QWERTY keyboard featuring Swype technology
Pricing and data plans:
- The DROID Charge by Samsung will be available for $299.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
- DROID Charge customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan and a 4G LTE data package. Nationwide Talk plans begin at $39.99 monthly access. Unlimited 4G LTE data packages start at $29.99 monthly access. Mobile Hotspot feature will be included for a limited time at no additional charge.
Find the DROID Charge
Beginning April 21, anyone over the age of 18 can participate in an exclusive DROID Charge Scavenger Hunt. Follow the online clues to find hidden locations in 16 different U.S. cities to win a DROID Charge by Samsung. For additional information about the DROID Charge Scavenger Hunt, visit: www.chargelanding.com.
For more information about the DROID Charge by Samsung, visit www.droiddoes.com/charge. For additional information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.