As expected, the Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich update will roll out to owners of Sprint’s Galaxy S II variant starting today.
Sprint has confirmed the good news on its website saying that the ICS update will be pushed to Epic 4G Touch owners starting today, July 12th, and that all users should receive the update within the month of July.
We’ve heard that the roll out will be completed by July 20th but it’s unclear if that date is going to stick, especially now that Sprint did not provide a specific end date.
Owners of the Epic 4G Touch will be prompted to download and install the Ice Cream Sandwich update, a process that should take some time considering how big the update is.
Sprint has detailed what is coming along with the update and here is what Epic 4G Touch owners should look forward to from Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich:
- A refined, evolved user interface that is simple, beautiful and useful
- Face Unlock: use state-of-the-art facial recognition technology to unlock your phone with a smile
- Redesigned camera which introduces panorama mode, effects like silly faces and background replacement, and a powerful photo editor
- Android Beam™: quickly share web pages, apps, contacts and YouTube™ videos with your friends by simply tapping two Near Field Communication (NFC)-enabled phones together
- Web browser now lets you sync Google Chrome™ bookmarks, request full desktop versions of sites, see your open tabs in a new layout and even store web pages for offline reading
- People: browse friends, family and coworkers, see their photos in high-resolution and check their latest status updates from Google+
- Improved keyboard with incredibly accurate typing, an inline spell checker and improved copy and paste support
- New Calendar app that lets you add events quickly, sync with Google Calendar™ or Microsoft Exchange and even pinch to adjust your calendar display
- Redesigned Gmail™ app that now lets you swipe between conversations to catch up quickly, and search for emails even without a data connection
- Google+ integration that lets you hangout and video chat with up to 10 friends using your front-facing camera
While not listed, we fully expect Sprint to include bug fixes and enhancements that should shore up issues that Epic 4G Touch owners have been experiencing before today.
So, for those that own a Galaxy S II device, the wait is finally over. Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich is here and the wait for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean begins today for some and in a couple of days for others.
Sprint’s Epic 4G Touch is the last Galaxy S II among the major carriers, including AT&T and T-Mobile, to receive the upgrade to Android 4.0.
17 Exciting Things You Can Do With the Oculus Quest
The Oculus Quest is a VR headset that you can use to play Virtual Reality games, delve into experiences and much...
The Best Gifts for iPhone Owners
These are the best gifts you can give an iPhone owner. I spend every day testing the latest and greatest...