Sprint 4G LTE Hitting 100+ Cities ‘Months’ after iPhone 5 Release

Sprint just announced over 100 new 4G LTE cities which are currently under construction and should launch in the, “coming months.”

The Sprint iPhone 5 didn’t look like a viable option last week, even though unlimited data is incredibly tempting, thanks mainly due to a lack of 4G LTE coverage.

Today, Sprint drastically increased the appeal for a Sprint iPhone 5 by naming specific 4G LTE launch cities for the next few months and sharing plans to complete 4G LTE coverage to the scale of its current 3G network by the end of 2013.

Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 5 with 4G LTE support at the September 12th event in California and the iPhone 5 release date is set for 9 days later on September 21st. Friday we received word by way of The Wall Street Journal that the iPhone 5 will support global 4G LTE.

The Sprint 4G LTE network is only live in 19 markets today, but by the end of the year it is likely to show up in the following cities.

Sprint 4G LTE Coverage Map – Estimated 2012

View Sprint 3G LTE coverage Estimated 2012 in a full screen map

New Sprint 4G LTE Coverage Plans

• Aguadilla-Isabela-San Sebastian, Puerto Rico
  • Albermarle, N.C.
  • Anderson, Ind.
  • Asheville, N.C.
  • Athens, Tenn.
  • Athens, Texas
  • Austin, Texas
  • Barnstable Town (Hyannis/Midcape), Mass.
  • Baton Rouge, La.
  • Coamo, Puerto Rico
  • College Station, Texas
  • Columbia, Tenn.
  • Columbus, Ind.
  • Cookeville, Tenn.
  • Crossville, Tenn.
  • Daytona Beach-Deltona-Ormond Beach, Fla.
  • Elkhart-Goshen, Ind.
  • Fayetteville, N.C.
  • Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach-Deerfield Beach, Fla.
  • Gainesville, Fla.
  • Gary, Ind.
  • Goldsboro, N.C.
  • Greenville, N.C.
  • Greeneville, Tenn.
  • Guayama, Puerto Rico
  • Hammond, La.
  • Harriman, Tenn.
  • Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, N.C.
  • Houma-Bayou Cane-Thibodaux, La.
  • Hutchinson, Kan.
  • Indianapolis-Carmel, Ind.
  • Jacksonville, Fla.
  • Johnson City, Tenn.
  • Jonesboro, Ark.
  • Kankakee-Bradley-Bourbonnais, Ill.
  • Kerrville, Texas
  • Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood, Texas
  • Kingsport-Bristol, Tenn.
  • Kinston, N.C.
  • Knoxville, Tenn.
  • Lakeland-Winter Haven, Fla.
  • Lancaster, S.C.
  • Lawrence, Kan.
  • Lincolnton, N.C.
  • Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, Calif.
  • Lumberton, N.C.
  • McPherson, Kan.
  • Memphis, Tenn.
  • Miami-Miami Beach-Kendall, Fla.
  • Morgan City, La.
  • Morristown, Tenn.
  • Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
  • Muncie, Ind.
  • Nashville, Tenn.
  • New Orleans
  • New York-White Plains-Wayne, N.Y.
  • Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News, Va.
  • Ocala, Fla.
  • Ocean Pines, Md.
  • Palatka, Fla.
  • Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville, Fla.
  • Peabody/Lawrence-Methuen/Gloucester, Mass.
  • Philadelphia
  • Ponce, Puerto Rico
  • Port St. Lucie, Fla.
  • Roanoke Rapids, N.C.
  • Rochelle, Ill.
  • Rockford, Ill.
  • Rocky Mount, N.C.
  • Salina, Kan.
  • Salisbury, Md.
  • Salisbury, N.C.
  • San German-Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico
  • Sebastian-Vero Beach, Fla.
  • Sevierville, Tenn.
  • Shelby, N.C.
  • Southern Pines-Pinehurst, N.C.
  • Springfield, Mass.
  • Statesville-Mooresville, N.C.
  • St. Thomas, USVI
  • Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, Fla.
  • Topeka, Kan.
  • Tullahoma, Tenn.
  • Tupelo, Miss.
  • Warrensburg, Mo.
  • Washington, D.C.-Arlington-Alexandria, Va.
  • Waukegan-Lake County, Ill.
  • West Palm Beach-Boca Raton-Boynton Beach, Fla.
  • Wichita, Kan.
  • Wichita Falls, Texas
  • Wilson, N.C.
  • Worcester-Fitchburg-Leominster, Mass.
  • Yauco, Puerto Rico

The addition of over 100 new Sprint 4G LTE cities and markets increases the appeal of Sprint’s 4G LTE Unlimited plan, and is enough to put a Sprint iPhone 5 purchase back on the radar.

Sprint 4G LTE Coverage Map

Sprint 4G LTE coverage Map based on new 4G LTE cities.

Check out our iPhone 5 coverage for the latest iPhone 5 news and rumors.

Comments

1. m says

Excellent just when I was about to start looking at att plans now I don’t have too :) still need to know about pre-ordering . how do I go about it if not with sprint already

2. zekumedo says

New York-White Plains-Wayne is incorrectly shown on the map as Albany-Schenectady-Troy. I live in Albany and apparently we’re S.O.L.

3. Jack spencer says

Seriously sprint? I guess Cali and the rest of the west states don’t have the same profit potential as Puerto Rico.

4. mike says

I guess its time to talk to Verizon. They have 4g in ca. I talked to sprint and they are no help and are not interested in keeping there customers in California with there 150k 3g.

• Chris says

There’s 4G in san Antonio but for some reason i can only get 1 or 4 bars near the highways, sprint store and at the airport but never any housing community just 3G. I’m using the Motorola Photon 4G LTE.

5. Leroy says

No jersey? Who structured this lay out sprint failed to cover the most profitable cities. Ny jersey and the west coast. Good luck with that

6. Bob says

Unbelievable. No 4G in Phoenix AZ?! Sprint does backwater towns and drive throughs but not one of the largest metropolitans (probably one of the 4 largest cities in terms of space). There is something wrong with that. Probably backwards thinking with planners equipped with a flashlight with heads up their asses.

7. Bapzz says

Hmm I guess Richmond VA will never see 4g with sprint. And all the other carriers have it here, even Tmobile. Oh how I wish they had the iPhone :(

8. Bigtaggg says

Obviously Sprint cannot compete in California when it comes to bandwidth. There’s only so much bandwidth to go around and AT& T and Verizon must be hogging it all. Sprint would never admit to this of coarse.

9. dam says

What’s the point of paying the extra fee for 4g if the area you live in isn’t gonna get it when all the other carriers have 4g LTE sprint seriously you need to work on your service cuz in my area 3g is super slow it might as well be edge service

• Dale (again) says

With download speeds ranging between 7 kps and 300 kps I should just pay the disconnect fee and switch. Won’t be staying with Sprint’s “NOw” network for sure!

10. keith reagan says

Why you skip towns I mean iam less than 60 miles a way version has it here and att

11. keith reagan says

Needto know when It’s comeing to graham nc its on each side of my town or county I mean why you skip town’s

12. dott602az says

So I called sprint because of the horrible service I receive (im in arizona). They credited me $25. And they told me to take my phone to a sprint store. So after work I went to the sprint store 11/08/2012. The person told me that they are being told 2-3 weeks and 4g lte will start being released in arizona

13. NavyBeagle says

Several cities in North Carolina would get LTE before landing some in RTP. That’s joke!

14. mike winchester says

Three years of promise and still no 4g in louisville . Your UPS hub is here. Get real!

15. babyboy337 says

I just recently purchased the Sprint Galaxy S3,Galaxy Nexus and the new Iphone 5 and im very disapointed because there is no 4g in Lafayette Louisiana. Im running the slowest 3g network a customer could ever wont, i hope Sprint does something soon before i drop them like a slow 3g hot potatoe

16. dave weins says

How about a class action suit..we have all been sold false advertising ..paying the same fees as those who get 4g without ever getting to use it…SHAME ON U SPRINT……..

17. Kevin Fowler says

I bought the evo 4 g in dec. 2010, with a hope i will see 4 g.now its dec. 2012.no 4 g.no hope of 4g.just upgraded to a s2, not impressed. Not told phone is not compatable with 4 g lte. Nothing even headed my area .n.e. Ohio til MAYBE
    2013. I think the s2 will be returned before my 14 days run out.

18. Millie Castaneda says

I was told when I bought my iPhone5 in Sept that Sprint 4G would be in Bradenton FL by Dec 2012. It’s Dec now and 4G is not even in Tampa.Now I’m stuck with a 2 yr contract and can’t get 4G . Should have gone with Verizon. Mad as hell. There should be a class-action lawsuit.

19. cLOWNgOD says

No coverage in NJ. – Crap coverage on Long Island NY. And NO COVERAGE AT ALL ON THE WEST COAST???

20. Jerry says

I just bought the iPhone 5 and I am very mad I don’t have 4g in Brea. California let alone everywhere by now

21. Frank says

Patiently waiting for constant LTE coverage down here in S. Florida(Hollywood and Miami). It’s super spotty and the 3G seems to be really slow. Sprint really needs to step up their game. I mean, there’s no way in hell I would choose them over AT&T or Verizon if starting a new corporate plan again. So I have unlimited USELESS data plans?… OK…

22. jerome says

wow really sprint how long do it take to get shit running its like att and Verizon have cities all the time no wimax or lte in sc but i see Yall coming out with phones but no 4g slow ass 3g now really what the hell r yall doing because form where i stand not much

23. Leon says

We need 4g lite coverage in Reading Pennsylvania, and Philadelphia, and New York immediately..

24. KCS says

sprint completely skipped MICHIGAN. I pay over $90 for 4G and I do not get it. Sprint needs to either place a 4G tower in Warren MI and the surrounding areas or I am leaving Sprint and I will go pay extra with Verizon and get the service I want.

25. Arod says

This is ridiculous! Since 2010 they been telling us here in San Diego that we will be having 4g soon and now it’s 2013 and Puerto Rico has it before California! Wtf is wrong with this Picture! I’m 110% loyal to sprint but after waiting for a few years With empty promises! It’s Frustrating to Continue paying a Luxury tool when we don’t have it available! Seriously have been thinking of switching carriers after my Contract ends in May! Shame on you guys! Let alone terrible 3G service At its finest! One of the slowest longest Internet and downloads ever!