The 2019 Honda Passport is real, and it’s ready to show off at the LA Auto Show. This is a new 5 passenger SUV that fits in between the Honda CRV and the Honda Pilot.
Arriving to compete with the returning Chevy Blazer as well as the Ford Edge and Nissan Murano, the Passport promises a mix of on road and off-road performance.
The 2019 Honda Passport goes on sale early in 2019 in three trim levels and with 2WD and AWD options. There is no 2019 Passport price yet. The AWD models add in additional off-road capabilities with the four mode Intelligent Traction Management system.
“The all-new 2019 Honda Passport provides the on-road comfort and nimble handling buyers will appreciate on their daily commute with the robust off-road and all-weather capability that make for a great weekend adventure vehicle,” said Henio Arcangeli, Jr., senior vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. and general manager, Honda Division. “We saw an opportunity to deliver something that Honda is uniquely capable of making and the new Passport is in a great position to capture buyers looking for a more personal, powerful and capable Honda SUV.”
Safety and convenience features are at the forefront of the 2019 Passport with Honda Sensing safety and driver assist standard on all trim levels. These include;
- Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) featuring Forward Collison Warning (FCW)
- Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) including Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Lane Keeping Assistance System (LKAS)
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
Honda is targeting a NCAP 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score safety rating and an IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK rating.
Each model includes a Multi-Angle rear view camera with birds eye view and optional features include guidelines for the rear view camera, blind spot monitoring with rear cross traffic alert and front and rear parking sensors on Touring and Elite trim levels.
Honda includes support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto on an 8-inch touch screen on the Touring and Elite trims, it is not available on the Sport. These higher trim levels also include 4G LTE connectivity to use the Passport as a hotspot and to allow users to track the vehicle’s location.
Inside the 2019 Passport you’ll find more space than the CRV. Honda says it features, “class-leading passenger volume of 115.9 cu.-ft. and best-in-class total interior volume of 157.1 cu.-ft.“
The new Passport is built on Honda’s Global Light Truck platform, features more ground clearance with 1.1” of additional room on the AWD models and wider wheels provide better handling and grip on the road or on rugged off-road settings.
You can choose from a range of Honda Genuine Accessories including a roof basket, roof racks, weatherproofing for cargo areas ad plastic covers for floor, sides and seat backs. You also get underfloor storage options with removable and washable bins. There are also cosmetic upgrades including graphics packages, under car welcome lights and lighted door sills.
Honda will offer two accessory packages.
- The Adventure Package adds running boards, a trailer hitch, fender flares and more for outdoor weekend getaways.
- The Urban Package adds front and rear underbody spoilers, unique 20-inch wheels, cargo storage bins and roof rails and crossbars for a sophisticated in-town look.
The 2019 Passport towing is rated at 3,500 pounds on the front wheel drive models and 5,000 pounds on the all wheel drive.
Honda Passport Specs and Features
- Standard 280-horsepower, 3.5-liter, direct-injected V6 engine with i-VTEC® valvetrain mated to latest-generation 9-speed automatic transmission
- Available Intelligent Variable Torque Management (i-VTM4™) torque-vectoring all-wheel drive enhances on- and off-road performance
- Intelligent Traction Management system with available Snow, Sand and Mud modes help optimize performance for varying surface conditions
- Standard Honda Sensing® safety and driver-assistive technology
- Standard 20-inch alloy wheels and tires on all trims
- Best-in-class underfloor cargo storage
- Wide range of Honda accessories for active lifestyles, including Adventure and Urban accessory packages
This article may contain affiliate links. Click here for more details.