Verizon has just announced the Casio G’zOne Command, a rugged and durable Android smartphone which meets military standards for immersion in water, rain, shock and more. This rugged smartphone is designed with outdoor users in mind, but would also be a good fit for construction users and contractors looking for a phone that can take a beating without the need for a case.
The Casio G’zOne Commando will be available for $200 at Verizon Wireless when it launches on Thursday April 28th. The G’zOne Commando runs Android 2.2 and has a 5MP camera which will be perfect for capturing a beautiful scene after hiking through the wilderness — even if you drop the phone in a creek and off a ledge on the way there.
Android smartphones are on the uptick with many users, but up until now users were limited to the Motorola Defy on T-Mobile for a rugged smartphone experience. There’s nothing wrong with the Defy, but T-Mobile’s network kept rugged smartphones out of the hands of many users. I’ve seen an uncle butcher an Otterbox case to protect his first smartphone with an extended battery and outdoorsmen like my dad will enjoy the built-in G’zGear features. With a plethora of GPS apps geared towards being outdoors, this phone could serve a collection of new Android users well.
Casio G’zOne Command Features
- Earth Compass – Functions as a standard compass, the GPS shows the distance and direction to several domestic and international landmarks, including Yosemite National Park and Mt. Everest.
- Walking Counter – Measures steps, distance and energy consumption, and total steps for the day, week or month. It also provides virtual treks for famous North American trails and roads including Mt. Kilimanjaro, Annapurna Circuit, Torres Del Paine Circuit, John Muir Trail and Transcontinental
- Adventure Training – Takes training to a new level by allowing users to run with virtual opponents, like world-record holders, wild animals, or their own best personal performance stored in the training history.
- Trip Memory – Plots and records outdoor activities along with location information to share with friends and family on Twitter™ and Facebook®.
- Tides – Showcases the tidal graph for the day; time of tide ebb and flow; and current, past and future sea tide levels. GPS displays the nearest location map.
- Thermometer – Displays current temperature in both Celsius and Fahrenheit with numeric and graphic thermometer readings and compares the current temperature across multiple locations.
- Sun / Moon – Checks the time of the next sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset, and tracks the moon phases for your current location.
- Star Gazer – Utilizes GPS to display the stars and constellation names based on the current season and time.
Casio G’zOne Command Specs:
- Android™ 2.2
- Meets Military Standards 810G for Immersion, Rain, Shock and Dust Resistant, Vibration, Salt Fog, Humidity, Solar Radiation, Altitude, Low and High Temperature Storage
- 5-megapixel camera with auto-focus, still photo, video capture, LED light
- High-security encryption for corporate email
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n connectivity
- Stereo Bluetooth™
- VZ Navigator® for GPS and audible turn-by-turn directions
- Mobile Hotspot capable-share 3G connection with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices
Casio G’zOne Command Gallery
4 Reasons Not to Install iOS 13 Beta & 12 Reasons You Should
There are some great reasons to take the iOS 13 beta for a spin on your iPhone. There are also...
Vizio M Series Quantum (2019) Review
The Vizio M Series Quantum delivers great picture quality, with deep blacks and accurate, vibrant colors that look great when...