If you are trying to play the Xbox One on January 30th, you may not be able to get online, start a game or even use the Xbox menus. There is a known issue with an Xbox One black screen on the home screen and a sidebar menu that is not working when you press the Xbox One button on your controller. This is how to fix the Xbox One Black Screen and sidebar problem without waiting for a full fix from Microsoft.
You will need to disconnect your Xbox One from the Internet for this to work. That can be unplugging an ethernet cable, or you may need to turn your WiFi router off. If you need to turn your router off, this will knock everyone else at home offline, but you only need it off for a minute.
How to Fix Xbox One Black Screen & Broken Sidebar Now
This works best if you turn your Xbox One off now, but you can restart it later. Here’s what you need to do to ix the Xbox One black screen problem and get back to playing right now. Parents with kids home from school, you are welcome.
- Go to you Xbox One and unplug the Ethernet cable. If you use WiFi unplug the power to your router.
- Restart the Xbox One. Even with a black screen you can hold the Xbox button to bring up the turn off option. Alternately you can push the power button.
- Turn the Xbox One back on and get to the main screen without any Internet connection.
- Once you see the home screen show up with at least one game tile plug the Ethernet back in or turn your router back on.
- Once the Xbox reconnects, you can sign into Xbox Live.
In most cases this will allow you to get back online and start playing, but you may need to play offline games for now. Here’s more on how to play the Xbox One offline. You can read more about this problem and how to fix Xbox One problems if you still need help.