Samsung Epic 4G Froyo Update Starts Rolling Out, Again
Way back towards the end of February, Sprint started rolling out the official Android 2.2 update to owners of their Galaxy S device, the Samsung Epic 4G.
However, just three days after the update started hitting devices, Sprint suspended the update indefinitely after owners started complaining about issues ranging from data connectivity issues to problems with the SD when attempting to access content.
Unlucky Epic 4G owners that missed the original update will be pleased to know that earlier today, Sprint announced that the Epic 4G Froyo roll out has begun once again and will roll out to all owners by March 24th. The update will also add Sprint ID which allows Epic 4G owners to download an ID Pack which will add personalized apps, widgets, ringtones, wallpapers, shortcuts all in one download.
Besides that, it will also bring Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Bluetooth dialing and allow for app installation to external storage.
The Epic 4G isn’t the only device included in the roll out either. Sprint also announced that the update will be rolling out to Samsung Galaxy Tab owners.
Here is Sprint’s full press release:
Samsung Epic 4G and Samsung Galaxy Tab Now Sprint ID-Enabled, Bringing Unique Mobile Experience to 4G and Tablets for First Time
Sprint ID quickly customizes device with apps, widgets, ringtones and more in a single download, based on customers’ interests or favorite brands; Most popular Sprint ID pack downloads include Yahoo!, MTV Music ID and ESPN ID
Software update delivering Sprint ID will also include Android 2.2 (Froyo)
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. – March 21, 2011 – Sprint (NYSE: S) today announced that its award-winning Samsung Epic™ 4G* and Samsung Galaxy Tab™ will be Sprint ID-enabled, beginning March 21, allowing customers who own these devices to download a complete mobile experience, called an “ID pack” – including apps, widgets, ringtones, wallpapers, shortcuts and more – tailored to their specific interests, business needs or favorite brands in a single download.
All existing Samsung Epic 4G and Samsung Galaxy Tab owners will be prompted this week to accept the over-the-air software update in their device’s notification tab. Once the update is installed, the user can find the Sprint ID icon in their Applications Menu and begin experiencing Sprint ID. All users should have access to this new software update by March 24.
The software update for Samsung Epic 4G will also include the Android 2.2 (Froyo) operating system update. This update will add numerous capabilities, including Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Bluetooth dialing and allows app installation to external storage.
Customers who purchase a new Samsung Epic 4G or Samsung Galaxy Tab can access Sprint ID from their Applications Menu when they turn it on for the first time. Customers can learn more about how to use Sprint ID on their device by visiting www.sprint.com/epicsupport or www.sprint.com/galaxytabsupport.
Sprint ID launched in October 2010 on three devices – LG Optimus S™, Sanyo Zio™ and Samsung Transform™ – with 16 consumer lifestyle ID packs targeting specific interests including Home Base, Health & Fitness, Fashion & Beauty, Socially Connected, Business Pro, Golf Enthusiast, Auto Enthusiast, The Big Apple and Entertainment, as well as branded ID packs from Yahoo!, WHERE and Lo2Yo by LatCel. Since launch, brands that have deployed Sprint ID packs include MTV, ESPN and HSN. Select ID packs will be available for download onto Samsung Galaxy Tab.
Customers with Sprint ID-capable devices can download up to five ID packs onto their phone and easily switch back and forth between them or swap them out for new ones. Sprint customers currently are downloading an average of two ID packs per device. Sprint ID packs are free to download with an Everything Data plan.
“We are very pleased with the success of Sprint ID and excited to expand this rich mobile experience to customers with these two popular devices – Samsung Epic 4G and Samsung Galaxy Tab,” said John Carney, senior vice president consumer marketing at Sprint. “Sprint ID handset sales have exceeded our expectations, which is proof that customers, especially those new to smartphones, want an easier way to get apps they’ll enjoy rather than searching through thousands of apps in Android Market™. As this data about ID pack downloads shows, customers are passionate about certain brands, such as MTV, Yahoo! and ESPN, and are eager to download a complete mobile experience developed by that brand. We expect to see the same excitement from our customers about recently launched ID packs as well as branded packs from other partners we have in the pipeline.”
Since Sprint ID launched, the most popular Sprint ID packs include:
· Entertainment: Features games, music, photo and celebrity news apps to keep users entertained no matter where they go. Apps include Shazam (identify any song), WikiMobile (mobile encyclopedia) and Poynt (local search app that lets users connect with businesses, restaurants and people near them).
· Yahoo!: Gives users access to their favorite Yahoo! services in one simple download including Yahoo! Finance, Mail, News, Sports, Messenger, Fantasy Football and Flickr.
· MTV Music ID: MTV Music ID allows fans to quickly download a package of apps, widgets and other content, including MTV News, MTV Photos, MTV Twitter and streaming music apps.
· Socially Connected: Delivers a customized experience for keeping users connected with friends while on the go. Features Facebook, TweetCaster and more, creating the ultimate starting point for their own multi-tasking, socially connected mobile package.
· ESPN ID: Instant access to scores right on the device’s home screen, as well as one-tap access to sports news, fantasy teams and the user’s favorite ESPN programs, including more than 900 live events per year on ESPN Mobile TV.
· WHERE: Enables people to discover the world around them by recommending local information, places and events; also helps people save money by providing location based coupons and cheapest gas stations. Allows users to find everything from weather, news and restaurant reviews to the closest coffee shop, traffic updates, movie show times and offers from local merchants.
· Fashion & Beauty: Delivers a customized experience for keeping users connected and up-to-date on the latest fashion trends, celebrity gossip, beauty and style. Apps include TrendTracker (keep track of the latest runway looks, fashion news, trend ideas); TMZ & E! Online (breaking celeb news); and ShopSavvy (scan the barcode of any product and it will search for all the best prices from local and online retailers).
· Health & Fitness: Healthy eating on the go is made easier with the Health & Fitness ID Pack. Apps include Fast Food Calorie Counter; Cardio Trainer (training partner for running, cycling, hiking, and other fitness activities); Yoga Trainer Lite; and iTriage (find closest health care providers and more).
· Home Base: A great solution for those running a modern household. Apps include Big Oven (featuring 170,000+ recipes); E! Online (get celebrity gossip fix); Pandora (listen to your favorite tunes wherever you are); Grocery Smart (create shopping lists); and Springpad (save notes, tasks or lists).
· Lo2yo Latino: Lo2Yo Latino ID brings users the best of their Latino world from news and entertainment to sports, soap operas and much more, all in Spanish.
For more information about Sprint ID and to see all Sprint ID packs, visit www.sprint.com/sprintid.
03/22/2011 at 10:51 am
03/22/2011 at 1:29 pm
Is there somewhere I can go download the update?
03/29/2011 at 1:33 pm
I just got the new update this morning.
03/24/2011 at 6:10 am
shit im still waiting.. havent gotten it yet
03/24/2011 at 6:57 am
I called Sprint yesterday and the lady said that it started then (23rd) for the next 4 days. So Im guessing mine will be updated monday ahha.
03/24/2011 at 3:50 pm
Hey I still didn’t get the update this sucks man I think I’m going to at&t if sprint can’t get their act togetheir
03/24/2011 at 8:06 pm
Sorry y’all, just called Sprint Tech Support and they said the update for the Samsung Epic 4G has been pulled (AGAIN) because of numerous issues with the phone programming. She said that they have no idea when another update will be issued. :-(
03/24/2011 at 10:11 pm
My update screwed up all my saved ringtones.
04/21/2011 at 9:00 pm
Mine too… All my contacts have totally random ringtones… And my alarm clock and text msg/notification also all changed…
03/25/2011 at 12:09 pm
The Update screwed up my stuff too. I have no way of stopping the stock messaging app from making noise and notifying me( I use Handcent) and for some reason the only way i can keep it quiet is if I put it on silent. Its soooo annoying :( Also, my phone is a little buggy now too
samsung sucks hog.....
03/25/2011 at 1:17 pm
Ugh I wanna take back this phone…. and now I’m stuck with it.
03/26/2011 at 2:50 am
I am glad I missed the update the first time around. I did receive the new update and am so pleased so far. The mobile hotspot works so much better on Froyo than it did on Eclair. I can actually have the hotspot on and make phone calls without it disconnecting the internet from my laptop, where as before the update, my connection was constantly breaking and could not talk on the phone while using hotspot. I was tempted to return the Epic until now!
03/26/2011 at 8:05 am
Does anyone know how to change texting inputs.. fir self correcting words automatically.?? Having trouble messeging and emailing . Older software had it. HELP PLEASE. JESS
03/30/2011 at 6:26 pm
I called Sprint about this upgrade. It’s from the manufacture (Samsung), not Sprint. Also, If you have any performance issues, Sprint will not support it. They suggest you sync all your contacts to your Google account, and backup all other information (pics, music, ringtones, calendars etc) to a computer BEFORE you install the upgrade.
04/03/2011 at 8:48 pm
the latest update is garbage. my EPIC spazzzes out, takes 2-3 seconds longer to respond to any action.
and to put sent and received messages in the call log was an epic FAIL!!!!!!
04/11/2011 at 7:14 pm
After new update, my Samsung epic will not work in bluettoth in my car and has lost all the contacts in my car. Help. Anyone got any answers.
04/21/2011 at 9:02 pm
I also cant copy and paste text from the internet now! Tge option to select text is gone!
05/11/2011 at 4:22 pm
I’ve been trying to figure this out myself; major fail in removing this feature..