Samsung Galaxy S5 pre-orders have started and in just a few weeks, the Samsung Galaxy S5 will join the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on shelves for the first time. That means that some consumers in the hunt for a new smartphone are weighing the two devices, trying to figure out which to buy. Here, we offer a few reasons why you’ll want to buy the Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
Last September, Samsung took the stage at an Unpacked event at IFA in Berlin, Germany and showed off its brand new Galaxy Note 3 for the very first time.
The Galaxy Note 3, which replaced the Galaxy Note 2 as the company’s flagship Galaxy Note, arrived with a ton of new features including a bigger, better display, fast processor, 13MP camera, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, and an improved S Pen experience highlighted by the new Air Command function. In our review of the Galaxy Note 3, we described it as being the most powerful smartphone in Samsung’s arsenal.
As we get further away from the Galaxy Note 3’s release, it remains a solid option thanks to its firepower. However, it’s going to face some serious, and powerful, competition in just a few days as the new Samsung Galaxy S5 is here.
The Galaxy S5 was announced back in February and as expected, it’s an extremely powerful device and one that will certainly be attractive to consumers. Today, pre-orders in the United States have begun, ahead of its upcoming release in April. This means that many consumers now face a tough decision. Buy the Galaxy S5 or buy something else. For some, that something else might be the Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
Over the past few weeks, friends, family and readers have asked us a similar question: “Should I buy the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 or the Samsung Galaxy S5?”
We’ve already taken a look at why you might want to buy the Samsung Galaxy S5 over the Galaxy Note 3 but now it’s time to switch gears and look at some reasons why you might want to buy the Galaxy Note 3.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is a high quality smartphone but in our opinion, there are only a few reasons why someone might want to buy the device over the new Samsung Galaxy S5.
Those who are in search of a gorgeous display that is perfect for gaming, movie watching and web browsing should look no further than the Galaxy Note 3. The device boasts a 5.7-inch display that offers full HD 1080p resolution, something that makes videos, photos, games, and movies look absolutely gorgeous.
The Galaxy Note 3’s display is not only stunning, it’s massive. It’s .6-inches larger than the Galaxy S5’s display and the size advantage is going to benefit those that covet extra screen real estate. Those who enjoy playing games on their smartphone might want to think about the Galaxy Note 3 and those who love watching movies on-the-go, particularly with another person, might want to think about it as well.
Its massive screen is also going to appeal to those who may not have the best eye sight. Older people especially might want to consider the Galaxy Note 3 and its massive display.
The .6-inch size difference is a small advantage over the Galaxy S5’s display but for many people, that .6-inches is going to be worth the extra cash. Remember, the Galaxy Note 3 is more expensive than the Galaxy S5.
The reason it’s more expensive? The larger screen and the S Pen stylus that comes bundled with it. The S Pen is the most unique aspect of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and it’s the other reason why consumers might want to buy Samsung’s larger flagship smartphone.
The Samsung Galaxy S5 does not come with an S Pen which means that it doesn’t have access to some of the unique applications that Samsung has developed specifically for use with the stylus.
This stylus is not an ordinary one and it comes with an array of features that will enhance productivity while in an office meeting, in class, or on-the-go. Those who are not familiar with the S Pen can see it in action in the video below. The video offers a look at S Note, one of the Galaxy Note 3’s unique applications.
Here are five other Galaxy Note 3 S Pen features that we should point out in particular:
- Action Memo: Action Memo is the new S Memo. Essentially, it’s a post-it for your Note’s display, and rather than being just static notes, you can link specific actions to those notes.
- Scrapbooker: This feature allows you to clip photos, text, and videos and save it to a the Scrapbook app. If you clipped a YouTube video, for example, a photo preview will appear in your Scrapbook app and you can access the video through embedded hyperlinks.
- Screen Write: Screen Write essentially takes a screenshot quickly of any screen and brings up the S Pen writing tools so you can write on your screen shot, draw, or mark up things that are important. If you’re reading a document inside Google Drive, you can do a quick Screen Write and add your notes for any corrections or changes using your handwriting.
- S Finder: Thanks to the sheer amount of content you’re able to save, clip, draw, and annotate, S Finder serves as a universal search tool that scans your phone’s content, including things created with the S Pen. S Finder will search your apps, contacts, messages, Action Memo, Scrapbook, and other content, and you can do basic filters to refine your search results.
- Pen Window: While the Note 2 introduced the Multi Window View for excellent multitasking, Pen Window adds another layer of multitasking.
For many, the extra screen space and the software benefits of the S Pen will outweigh the features on board the Samsung Galaxy S5. These reasons should be consider a push over the fence but we highly recommend going hands-on with the two devices before coming to a final decision.
4 Reasons Not to Install macOS Mojave & 10 Reasons You Should Install 10.14.1
The macOS Mojave update could completely change how you use your Mac. Many users will want to install the free update...
How to Take an ECG on the Apple Watch
This guide will show you how to take an ECG with the Apple Watch 4. This is a new feature...