If you’re fed up with Facebook and the amount of drama and idiocy that shows up in your News Feed, here’s how to delete your Facebook account once and for all.
Facebook used to be a magical place where college students were able to connect with each other in a way that was never thought possible. However, many will argue that the social network has turned into a cesspool filled with immature teenagers and folks who shouldn’t even be near a computer in the first place.
Don’t get me wrong, Facebook is a great place to show friends and family members what you’re up to, especially those who live far away that you’re not able to connect to in real life, but if it isn’t worth the mess of stupid posts that you see daily, on top of the many privacy concerns, there’s a way you can put an end to it all right now.
Here’s how to delete your Facebook account and bring order to chaos in your digital life.
Clearing Out the Clutter
Believe it or not, you don’t need Facebook. Sure, you might say that it’s a great way to stay in touch with people who live far away, but that’s why phones were invented, and also instant messaging and video chat.
On the other end of the spectrum, you might be using Facebook simply to view your News Feed and see what other people are up to. Sometimes this can be entertaining, but more often than not, you start to get sick of political arguments, rants, and constant bragging from other users about how awesome their life is.
Of course, I probably don’t even need to convince you to delete your Facebook account, as the reason that you’re probably reading this is because you want to do exactly that. Facebook doesn’t make it extremely difficult to delete your account, but they partially hide it to make it at least a little difficult to do so, because they ultimately don’t want you to go, but you’ve already made up your mind.
Deleting Your Facebook Account on Your Computer
If you want to delete your Facebook account from your desktop or laptop computer, just follow these simple steps:
- Visit the Facebook website and click on the small downward-facing arrow in the upper-right corner of the web page. From there, click on Settings.
- Then, click on Security in the left-hand sidebar under General.
- There will be a list of options shown, but you want to click the link at the bottom that says Deactivate your account.
- You’ll then be taken to a screen where Facebook tries to convince you that your friends will miss you, and there’s also a little form toward the bottom that you can fill out. Do whatever you feel necessary on this page and then click Confirm.
Deleting Your Facebook Account on Your iPhone or iPad
The process for deleting your Facebook account from your iPhone or iPad is similar to how you would do it on a computer, but there are slight changes in the menus that you’ll be navigating.
- Open up the Facebook app on your iOS device, and tap on the More tab in the lower-right corner.
- Scroll all the way down and tap on Settings, then tap on General.
- Tap on Deactivate at the bottom of the list shown. You’ll be asked to enter in your Facebook password for security reasons (just in case someone else isn’t using your iPhone and deleting your account).
- You’ll then be taken to a short survey on why you’re deleting your Facebook account. Once you’re done with that, tap on Deactivate to finish the process.
Deleting Your Facebook Account on Your Android Device
As with the iOS version of Facebook, the process to deleting your Facebook account is similar on Android.
- Open up the Facebook app on your Android device and tap on the More tab in the menu bar. It will be the icon with three parallel lines stacked on top of each other.
- Scroll down and tap on Account Settings, and then tap on General.
- Next, tap on Deactivate. You’ll then be taken to a short survey. Fill it out and then tap on Deactivate again to finish the process.
You can always reactivate your Facebook account if you ever change your mind. Simply just log in as usual and then follow the prompts to reactivate your account.