This is how to go back to iOS 12 from iOS 13. Officially Apple doesn’t support an iOS 13 downgrade to iOS 12, but for a limited time, you erase your iPhone, put iOS 12.4.1 on it and then restore a backup you made on iOS 12.
If you’re running into iOS 13 problems, missing a feature that you loved on iOS 12 or just need to go back, you can use this guide to downgrade to iOS 12.
This comes with some caveats. You can only go back to iOS 12.4.1 and you can only downgrade to iOS 12 for a limited time. Once Apple stops signing iOS 12.4.1 you cannot downgrade anymore. This typically happens in about a week or two.
The only other thing you need to keep in mind is that this will wipe your iPhone and when you get back to iOS 12.4.1, you will need to restore a backup from iOS 12. You cannot install a backup from iOS 13 or the iOS 13 beta.
Officially Apple doesn’t support the iOS 13 downgrade, but this is an easy process that doesn’t mess with your support or warranty.
How to Downgrade from iOS 13 to iOS 12
Here’s what you need to do to go back to iOS 12 on your iPhone. While you are downgrading you cannot use your phone, so you will need to open this on your computer or another device.
If you made an archived backup, you can use that after you restore. If you are doing this right after the iOS 13 release date, you should have an iOS 12 backup still available.
Follow these steps to go back to iOS 12 from iOS 13.
- Download the iOS 12.4.1 update for your iPhone from this website.
- Make sure there is still a green checkmark in the Apple Signing Status column. If there is not one, do not proceed.
- Turn off Find My iPhone on your iPhone.
– >Go to Settings -> tap on your name at the top of settings -> Tap on iCloud -> Tap on Find My iPhone -> Toggle off. Enter your password.
- With your phone backed up and all the steps above completed, plug your iPhone into your computer.
- Open iTunes and Click on the iPhone icon.
This is how this process works if you are still on macOS Mojave. If you’ve already upgraded to macOS Catalina, you will need to start this process in Finder. Instead of opening iTunes, open Finder and click on your iPhone in the left side.
- Click on the Restore iPhone button using a special click. On Mac hold alt/option when you click and on PC hold Shift when you click.
- In the window that opens, find the iOS 12 file you just downloaded and click on it and then click open.
- Choose to erase and restore your iPhone. Click Restore to begin this process
- While you wait the iPhone will restart multiple times. When it is finished you will be back on iOS 12.4.1.
This process takes a little while to complete. When it does, you can start fresh or restore a backup made on iOS 12. Most people will want to install a backup.
5 Reasons to Pre-Order Call of Duty: Modern Warfare & 3 Reasons Not To
Should you pre-order Call of Duty: Modern Warfare? We can help you decide if you should pre-order Call of Duty...
9 Things to Do Before Installing macOS Catalina
This is what you need to do before installing macOS Catalina on your Mac. This will make the process go faster,...