As promised, DICE has released a February Battlefield 1 update for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. Today, we want to take a look at everything you need to know about this brand new Winter Battlefield 1 update.
Its been several weeks since DICE released a Battlefield 1 update for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Windows PC.
Today, DICE has finally pushed out a brand new update for all three platforms bringing fixes, features and more ahead of the They Shall Not Pass DLC release in March.
Here’s a look at everything you need to know about the Winter Battlefield 1 update including a look at early problems and fixes.
February Battlefield 1 Update Size
If you’re planning to play Battlefield 1 today you’ll be tasked with downloading the Winter update to your machine.
On the PC, it’ll be around 1.57GB. On the PS4, it’ll be around 4.8GB. And on Xbox One, you’re looking at a 2GB patch.
If you need to cleanup some space, now would be a great time to do so. And if you’re worried about download speeds, now would be a great time to plug your ethernet cord into your console or PC. It could help to speed up the download.
February Battlefield 1 Update: What’s New
Now that the update is live, we know what’s included in this huge February update for Xbox One, PS4 and PC.
Two things that aren’t in the Winter update’s change log? Password protected servers and the ability to add additional people as administrators. It’s unclear when those will arrive but it won’t be this month, it seems.
The February update is more than just a collection of bug fixes. The patch also delivers some new features. Here’s a look at those.
As you play you’ll now collect ribbons.
The patch adds a total of 20 different ribbons to collect. Each time you collect a ribbon you will earn 500 experience points.
As DICE notes, the “ribbons are designed to promote good team play and playing the objective.” The company also says that it’s open to adding new ribbons based on feedback from the community.
Thanks to the livestream, we know these ribbons are part of several categories including Vehicle, Class, Weapon, Combat and Squad.
The patch allows players to unlock Elite Codex for eight of the available primary weapons in the game. To do that, you need to get 500 more kills per weapon.
Once you get that done you’ll get an Elite Codex and a massive 25000 bonus XP which will obviously go a long way toward your rank.
Increased Max Class Ranks
The patch institutes a new class rank of 50. When you hit 50, you’ll be “granted some extra nice class flair in the kill card to really taunt your fallen foes.”
The patch also introduces some new dog tags for class ranks.
The update also adds some key features to Battlefield 1 servers including the ability to vote for the next map once a match ends.
The players on the server now get two map options and whichever gets the most votes will be the map for the next round. The options are randomly selected from the server’s map rotation.
The vote pops up on the Victory screen which means you won’t lose any additional time in between matches.
In addition, RSP admins are now be able to kick players from their server using the in-game user interface. RSP admins also now have prioritized access to their server.
As expected, the Winter Battlefield 1 update delivers a long list of fixes for lingering Battlefield 1 problems plaguing the game on the Windows PC, Xbox One and PS4.
Here is the full list for the Xbox One, PS4 and PC. Note that the change log is different from the one that was available in the Battlefield 1 CTE.
- Fixed some parts of vehicles that were improperly placed in front of 1p cameras when taking or repairing damage to them.
- Fixed tank driver weapon visuals not functioning correctly for other players when the driver uses a 3p camera.
- Fixed an issue where the Heavy Tank would not show on the minimap when firing.
- Reduced the cooldown of gas abilities on vehicles from 30-32s to 25 seconds to make up for reduced gas duration.
- Fixed issue where multiple tanks could become available to a team when they shouldn’t be.
— Battlefield Bulletin (@BFBulletin) February 8, 2017
- Fixed an issue where the Warbond symbol overlapped the amount of available warbonds in Arabic language.
- Fixed an issue where the kill log would be visible in the deploy screen in Hardcore mode.
- Fixed an issue where player nametag would not show in the kill log for some type of kills.
- Improved the logic for fading out crosshairs and UI when aiming down sights.
- Fixed English spelling error for magnification.
- Kit rank progress bar now becomes invisible once you reach max rank.
- Vehicle selection is now disabled while the preround countdown is running in order to provide a more fair selection process for vehicles.
- Increased the time for re-selecting invalid deploy points from 3 to 10 seconds to avoid 100% automatic reselection when squad members are under fire.
- Fixed issue where amount of warbonds could overlap UI container.
- Fixed issue where XP boost could overlap UI container.
- Fixed an issue where players would join an Operation when it had progressed too far, almost at the end.
- Improved performance in the menu system.
- Tweaked design of friends list.
- Player will now track first medal by default.
- RSP server information will now display owner of server.
- Now sorts regular servers below RSP servers in the server browser.
- Added server information in …-menu.
- Fixed a bug where joining server animation started twice when joining server.
- Fixed a bug where the user remained in hang after failing to join a server.
- Fixed a bug where the tracked medal was not highlighted.
- Fixed a bug where players were unable to see the highlighted text in end of round.
- Fixed a bug where players were prompted with “Matchmaking failed” when switching between Quickmatch modes.
- Fixed a bug where the party hub did not update party members.
- Fixed a bug where stats required reentering the weapons page to update.
- Fixed a bug where players were unable to invite to party from comcenter after booting the title via party game invite with a 6+ people party.
- Fix animation issue on personalized recommendation cards.
- Fixed a bug where personalized recommendation cards would not fade.
- Fixed a bug where the context menu was misaligned when the user clicked on it for the first time.
- Fixed a bug where the highlight was broken after the user selected a vehicle with service star in the vehicle tab.
- Fixed a bug where players were left in hang when dismissing the “Matchmaking Failed” while the “you have no scraps” prompt was active in loading screen.
- Fixed a bug where players could scroll using “R” in the comcenter on console.
- Fixed a bug where the end of round countdown stopped when quickly navigating through the tabs.
- Fixed a bug where the mouse scroll did not work in list of recommendation cards.
- Fixed a bug where content moved around in the menu when players were spamming down on the d-pad.
- Fixed a bug where players entered an unplayable state when attempting to join a game session via the Xbox friend’s tab.
- Fixed a bug where it was not possible to inspect skins in the Inventory.
- Fixed a bug where Standard Battlepack real-money price sometimes did not show up.
- Fixed 7 UI related crash bugs.
- Fixed several localization issues.
- Fixed an issue with floating debris after destroying a table.
- Fixed an issue where players could get stuck in a table.
- Player will no longer clip through the visual mesh of windmill interiors.
- Grenades and dynamite will no longer fall through the floor of the windmill balcony.
- Removed flickering effect on tall wooden fences.
- Destruction fixed between tall wooden fence parts.
- Fixed Conquest spawn locations on Suez. Moved one up so player no longer spawns underground, moved another out of a tree.
- Fixed issue where underwater sounds could get stuck on land.
- Fixed issue where the player could move on top of the map on Argonne Forest.
- Fixed issue where Hint Line for train did not disappear after performing indicated action or even leaving the behemoth on Conquest, Suez.
Side gun meshes weren’t rendering for 3p spectators depending on which weapon was used and if that particular seat was spectated.
Fixed an issue with the “Tankghewehr 1918” Elite weapon replenished ammo after picking up any dropped weapon kit.
Bayonet charge kills should now properly award service stars.
Fixed illogical behavior when using K Bullets with the Martini-Henry.
Tweaked post reload delays to better match animations on the following weapons:
- Cei-Rigotti 0.4 to 0.6 s.
- Mondragon 0.5 to 0.5667 s.
- Selbstlader 1906 0.8 to 1.0667 s.
- Bodeo 1.1 to 1.0 s.
- Bulldog 1.0 to 1.1 s.
Increased long reload time of Autoloading 8 .25 Extended from 2.9 to 3.066 s.
Improved Selbstlader 1906 aimed accuracy, reduced recoil and decreased spread.
Increased horizontal recoil by 14.3%:
- Automatico Trench
- Hellriegel Factory
- M1909 Storm
- Madsen Storm
- MG15 Storm
- BAR Storm
Increased horizontal recoil of Lewis Optical and M1909 Optical by 10% when ADS.
Reduced horizontal recoil of some self-loading rifles:
- Autoloading 8 0.6 to 0.4.
- Cei-Rigotti 0.64 to 0.56.
- M1907 SL 0.84 to 0.7.
Upped recoil decrease of “Low Weight” SLRs from 6 to 7.
Increased damage of the Martini-Henry between 30 and 80 meters slightly.
Reduced the damage of impact grenades from 80 to 72″
Tweaked the damage behavior of the 12 g Automatic shotgun to balance all variants better against each other:
- Extended: Increased pellet cone from 1.6 to 1.8 degrees. Should now two hit kill a healthy target up to about 18 meters.
- Backbored: Reduced pellet cone from 1.28 to 1.2 degrees. Should now two hit kill a healthy target up to about 19 meters.
- Hunter: Reduced pellet cone from 1.28 to 1.2 degrees. Should now two hit kill a healthy target up to about 21 meters.
- All: Moved out damage dropoff by 1 m and added damage curves.
- Model 10-A Slug changes:
- Reduced aimed dispersion from 0.3 to 0.24 when stationary and from 0.50 to 0.48 when moving.
- Increased muzzle velocity from 380 to 420.
- Reduced damage against gut, arms and legs.
- Added ability to kill a healthy target with shots to the gut or upper arms within 8 meters.
- Increased lethal range from chest shots from 10 to 11 meters.
- Evened out recoil direction.
Increased No.3 Revolver rate of fire in ADS from 119 to 138.
Added missing tiered reloading to flash flares.
Fixed Selbstlader 1906 and GasserM1870 last round fired animations for accuracy.
Fixed Gasser round-in-cylinder rotation during reload loop.
Fixed slide travel on several automatic pistols during fires and reloads.
Fixed hammer position of Mars pistol during reload.
Fix of Auto Revolver reload interrupt tiers and speedloader visibility.
Removed visual recoil from ADS fire anims on Mle 1903, Pieper Carbine, 1903 Experimental.
Fixed issue with tiered reloading in the Mle 1903.
Corrected Frommer Stop Auto magazine capacity from 14+1 to 15+1.
Corrected errors in moving dispersion for crouched hipfire on shotguns.
Retune of Revolver No 3 reload audio to match new animation. Added hammer cocking to ADS firing animation.
Retune of Luger1906 Reload Audio to match new animation.
Automatico M1918 sometimes showed the wrong name (it was called Modello 1918 in a few places).
The Tankgewehr now resupplies 4 rounds at once.
Made damage of the Russian 1895 Trench and Horse drop slower to give them a slightly better 2 hit kill range.
Retuned audio on Gasser reload to match new animation. Added hammer cock/decock to Deploy and Undeploy to match animation.
- Fixed an issue in Spectator where a 1P overlay appears for spectators viewing players in fortress guns in 3P or when spectating the artillery truck driver in 3P while the driver zooms.
- New button added in Spectator mode to view the gamer card of a spectated player.
- Added button labels to the view modes in Spectator mode for PS4/Xbox One.
- Bayonet recharged sound could trigger from any soldier on spectator clients. This should now only occur for spectated soldiers.
- Added extra check for “not team neutral” to gate announcer VO when in Spectator mode Freecam or Tabletop views.
- Added gates to Impaired Hearing Mixer, Low Health Mixer, Gas Supression Mixer to not activate for spectators in freecam/tabletop view.
- Added extra checks for Low Health and Gas Supression SFX/mixers to start if spectator enters player view while SFX/mixers should be active.
- Possession announcer VO will now not play for freecam and tabletop spectators.
- Fixes Pre-EOR music not activating for spectators (all game-modes).
- Gated “Lost Objective” VO to not play for spectators in Conquest/Operation/Domination.
- Fixed corrupted VFX when players shoot the Flare Gun in all camera modes.
- Fix for parts of the train disappearing while spectating a player in the train in 3rd person or director.
- Fixed the Spectator boundaries to be the same as the plane boundaries on Giant’s Shadow.
- Fixed a spectator bug with the behemoth icon staying at the center of the screen if you exit player view mode before it is moved to the final position at the top of the screen.
- Fixed an issue where the option “show player outlines”/Squad Pin stopped working when switching through players.
- Fixed an issue where the player could not select the numbered freecam they were just on from a drop camera.
- Fixed a bug where Battlepacks and Medals were present in loading screen when joining as Spectator.
- Fixed a bug where players did not receive the option to join friend as spectator on consoles from comcenter.
- Improved cavalry victim experience. You should no longer get killed by cavalry using a saber from multiple meters away.
- Fixed errors where Elite Kits had unintentionally high health regeneration delays and carried too many grenades.
- Increased the threshold for suppression effects to prevent suppression from occurring too early.
- Reduced gas duration from 22 to 15 seconds.
- Tweaked suppression effects and low health visuals.
- Fixed VO issue in Rush when defenders have interacted with telegraph to send enemies coordinates.
- Fixed PC custom keybindings not properly remapping for Behemoths.
- Reduce maximum displacement of high ping players when missing updates.
- Fixed huge extrapolation times for good connections after frame spikes.
- Added custom game setting to toggle Behemoth.
- Added custom game setting to toggle Squad Leader Only Spawn.
February Battlefield 1 Update Problems
We’re already hearing complaints about common Battlefield 1 issues including crashes, lag, UI-related problems, and more. We expect complaints to grow as more people download and try out the new version of the game.
If run into an issue with the February patch, make sure you report it. And if you can’t wait for the developer to roll out the next bug fix update (we expect one with the DLC next month), take a look at our list of fixes for Battlefield 1 problems.
EA DICE’s Winter update will likely be followed by its They Shall Not Pass DLC in March, the game’s first DLC expansion.
They Shall Not Pass will deliver a ton of new content including the French army, new vehicles, a new elite class, four new maps, two new operations, and more. DICE has revealed a bunch of details but there’s more to come.
If you’re a Premium Pass holder or if you’re planning to buy the DLC, note that DICE is planning to test the They Shall Not Pass DLC in the Battlefield 1 CTE sometime in the near future. It hasn’t provided a specific date.
For more on They Shall Not Pass, take a look at the slides below.
They Shall Not Pass Update Size
DICE typically releases a base game update alongside its DLC expansion packs. With They Shall Not Pass (and we assume with the next three DLC's), it did things a bit different.
They Shall Not Pass was bundled into DICE's March Battlefield 1 update. The developer did this to "allow non-Premium members access to the content via Spectator mode." This gives non-Premium members a chance to check out the maps and content before buying the DLC.
Of course, this also means that everyone is required to download a massive game file in order to continue playing Battlefield 1.
If you haven't fired up Battlefield 1 in awhile, here's what you can expect from the They Shall Not Pass update for your platform:
Xbox One: 8.35GB
If you're running out of space on your console now would be a good time to do some cleanup. And if you use a wireless connection, you might want to plug your ethernet cord in to see if that helps speed up your download.
4 Reasons Not to Install macOS Mojave & 15 Reasons You Should Install 10.14.5
The macOS Mojave update could completely change how you use your Mac and the new version adds in access to Apple News+...
3 Reasons Not to Install watchOS 5.2.1 & 10 Reasons You Should
The watchOS 5.2.1 update brings bug fixes to the Apple Watch and new features to the Apple Watch in several...