On Samsung devices you can download from the Samsung App Store without changing settings, but on other Android phones you need to enable an option to install from unknown sources, which opens your phone up to potential issues.
“It is generally considered that the most secure way to download apps is from the official stores like Google Play. In this case, Android users will need to visit Epic Games’ website and disable some security features on their devices to complete the download of the game,” explains Daniel Markuson, NordVPN Digital Privacy Expert. “However, Android owners may want to proceed with the download with caution.”
This is especially true if you don’t download directly from the email Epic Games sends, or the link directly on the Epic website. If you try to jump the beta waitlist, or install the Fortnite apk to get around the compatibility list you open yourself up to problems.
According to NordVPN, you open your Android phone up to the following issues when you install from unknown sources and you aren’t careful.
- Subscribe to paid services
- Send and delete text messages
- Inject ads in the notification area
- Show ads in other apps
- Download and install other apps
- Launch DDoS attacks
- Open URLs in browsers
- Mine cryptocurrencies
You can use the following tips to keep your Android phone safe as you install the Fortnite Android beta and the full Fortnite Android game in the near future. Markuson recommends;
- If you are an Android user, be 100% sure you download Fortnite only from the official
website of the developers.
- To download the game, you will need to disable the default security settings on your device.
- After completing the download, be sure to turn the security settings back on. You will need to do that for every update as well.
- Get a reliable anti-malware app or use the CyberSec feature available in the NordVPN app for Android. If the website you are trying to visit is known for phishing or malware,
CyberSec reacts immediately and blocks the dangerous action.
- Pay attention to the app permissions. If some of the required permissions seem unrelated or excessive, it might be an alarming signal of a copycat app.
You can sign up for the Fortnite Android beta today and in many cases install it right away. Make sure you install the beta from a legit source, or you open yourself up to major issues.
This article may contain affiliate links. Click here for more details.