The free NBA 2K21 demo has arrived and in this guide we’ll show you how to get it up and running on your Xbox One, PlayStation 4, or Nintendo Switch.
The NBA 2K21 release date lands on September 4th, but you can try the game out on your console a few weeks before the game’s street date thanks to the demo.
2K’s released an NBA 2K21 demo for Xbox One, PS4, and Nintendo Switch. Unfortunately, there isn’t a demo for Windows PC or Google Stadia.
The demo allows you to try out some of the changes 2K and Visual Concepts are bringing to this iteration of the long-running series. It also lets you build your MyPlayer character.
With the demo now out, it’s time to start preparing for the download. Here’s how you’ll want to approach the NBA 2K21 demo download and how you’ll download it onto your console.
- How to Download the NBA 2K21 Demo on Xbox One
- How to Download the NBA 2K21 Demo on PS4
- How to Download the NBA 2K21 Demo on Nintendo Switch
Make Room for the NBA 2K21 Demo
If you’re running out of storage space on your console, you should use this time to do some cleanup. The NBA 2K21 demo requires a nice chunk of free space.
If you own a PS4 you’re looking at a 30GB download. If you own an Xbox One, you’ll be staring down a 35GB download.
If you don’t have that kind of space available on your console right now, you’ll want to spend time deleting files you no longer need.
Use a Wired Connection
Some of you might want to run a wired cable to your console for the duration of the download. This will help keep the demo’s download speed fast and stable.
If you’re sick of dealing with slow download speeds, you might want to upgrade your router. If that’s something you’re interested in doing, take a look at the TP-Link Archer A20 or Netgear’s Nighthawk AX4 RAX40.
- Order the NBA 2K21 Mamba Forever Edition for PlayStation 4 and you will also receive NBA 2K21 and 100,000 Virtual Currency for PlayStation 5 upon release.
- Physical copies of NBA 2K21 Mamba Forever Edition for PlayStation 4 will include a digital copy of NBA 2K21 Standard Edition for PlayStation 5 in box.
- This edition includes 100,000 Virtual Currency, 10,000 MyTEAM points, MyTEAM packs, digital items for your MyPLAYER, and more!
- Note: There will be two inserts in PS4 Mamba edition physical product. One code is for the Mamba edition content (VC, MyTeam packs, etc.), this slip is titled Damian Liliard & Zion Williams Digital Collection. The second code is for the NG game code and VC, this slip is titled PS4 Digital Items 2K21 for PS5. Both codes can be redeemed through the normal console process
- First party codes are provided and redeemed through their storefronts. PlayStation codes are 12 digits
How to Download NBA 2K21 Demo on Xbox One
If you’re an Xbox One owner, there are a couple of ways to start the download process.
Select the NBA 2K21 demo and then select “Get” to start the download process. Download times will vary based on connection speed.
If you aren’t at your house, you can still download it and have it ready to go when you return. Here’s how to do that.
First, make sure your Xbox One has an internet connection and that you’ve enabled the Always Connected power option in your Settings. Always Connected means your Xbox One goes to sleep instead of turning off.
After you’ve done that, follow these instructions:
- Go to Xbox.com in your web browser.
- Click on the Sign In link in the top-right corner. For this to work you must use the same Microsoft Account that’s connected to your Xbox Live gamertag and Xbox One.
- Type NBA 2K21 into the search box in the top-right corner of your screen.
- Click the blue “Get” button.
If for some reason your Xbox One doesn’t download new games and game updates when it’s sleeping, you’ll need to manually download the NBA 2K21 demo from the My Games and Apps section whenever you get home.
How to Download NBA 2K21 Demo on PS4
If you want to play the demo on the PS4, here’s what you need to do.
If you’re at home, turn on your PlayStation 4 and head into the Store. The easiest way to find the demo is via a search for “NBA 2K21.”
If you aren’t at home, you’ll need to find a device with internet connectivity and visit the PlayStation Store in a browser. Your PS4 will also need to have Automatic Downloads enabled.
Here’s what you need to do in order to download the NBA 2K21 demo remotely:
- Go to Store.PlayStation.com in your browser.
- Click Sign In in the top-right corner of the screen. For this to work, this account needs to match the account you use on your PlayStation 4.
- Use the search box to look for NBA 2K21.
- Click on Add to Cart and complete the checkout process.
Once you get home you’ll want to look for the NBA 2K21 demo in your collection of games. If for some reason it’s not there, you’ll need to manually start the download and wait for it to finish.
How to Download NBA 2K21 Demo on Nintendo Switch
If you own a Nintendo Switch, here’s what you’ll need to do.
If you’re near your Switch, head into the Nintendo eShop, search for “NBA 2K21”, find the demo, and initiate the download.
If you aren’t near your Switch, you can snag the demo from your phone or laptop. Here’s how to do that:
- Go to Nintendo.com in your browser and log in.
- In the search bar at the very top of the page, type in NBA 2K21.
- Once you’re on the correct page, find where it says “Download demo” and select it.
Once you do that, the download should begin on your Switch.
NBA 2K21 Demo Download Problems
If your NBA 2K21 download gets stuck on your PS4, Xbox One or Nintendo Switch, you’ll want to pause the download and retry. This typically fixes the issue.
If your download is moving slowly, again, you’ll want to try and used a wired connection. It could help speed up the process. You can also try pausing it. Wait a few seconds then resume and see if the download picks up speed.
Pre-Order NBA 2k21 to Receive These Bonuses
If you plan to invest a lot of time into NBA 2K21's various game modes, you might want to pre-order a copy because you'll get some bonuses with your order.
If you pre-order a copy of the standard edition you get some bonus items that could prove useful. These bonuses include:
If you pre-order a copy of the standard edition for PS5 or Xbox Series X, you get the following items:
If you decide you want to go with the expensive Mamba Forever Edition for current-generation platforms, you get these pre-order bonuses:
And if you pre-order a copy of the Mamba Forever Edition for PS5 or Xbox Series X, you get the following bonuses with your order:
Those all come free with a pre-order and they'll give you a pretty good head start if you plan to play 2K's various game modes.
Last update on 2020-09-25. This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read our disclosure policy for more details. Images via Amazon API
This article may contain affiliate links. Click here for more details.