The Star Wars Battlefront 2 release date is confirmed and today we want to take a look at the most important things to know as we push toward its arrival on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Windows PC.
Its been more than a year since EA DICE revived the Star Wars Battlefront franchise. The original Star Wars Battlefront arrived to mixed reviews in November of 2015 for Xbox One, PS4 and PC.
As we push deeper into 2017, support for the original game has slowed down as EA DICE prepares to showcase its sequel, Star Wars Battlefront 2.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 was originally confirmed all the way back in May of 2016. At the time, the company said the sequel would feature “bigger and better worlds” and that it would use content from the new Star Wars movies.
More recently, EA DICE confirmed some more detailed Star Wars Battlefront 2 release information including its release date, content, pre-orders, bonuses, and a robust single-player mode.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Release Date
The Star Wars Battlefront 2 release date is confirmed for late 2017.
As expected, Star Wars Battlefront 2 will land in late 2017 with a global release date confirmed for November 17th. This is the release date for Xbox One, PS4 and PC.
The November 17th release date is just one of three planned release dates for the highly anticipated title.
You can start playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 starting November 9 if you join EA Access on Xbox One or Origin Access on PC. Your progress will carry over to the full game if you decide to buy the full version once the early play period ends.
There’s also an early Star Wars Battlefront 2 release date for those that pre-order the Deluxe Edition. The early release date for the Deluxe Edition lands on November 14th.
Here are few more key about the Star Wars Battlefront 2 release for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Windows PC:
- A Nintendo Switch Star Wars Battlefront 2 release remains unconfirmed. In a recent interview, the company declined to offer specifics.
- A Star Wars Battlefront 2 release for Microsoft’s Project Scorpio will probably happen. Microsoft’s new Xbox will debut in June at E3.
- There are a bunch of Battlefront 2 deals out there. Look into them before you buy.
- If you pre-order Star Wars Battlefront 2, you’ll get The Last Jedi Heroes pre-order bonus. This means you’ll get Kylo Ren and Rey-themed looks inspired by the upcoming movie, epic ability upgrades, and much more.
- The official Star Wars Battlefront 2 forums are live.
- GameStop is selling a $23 Star Wars: The Black Series – Battlefront 2 Inferno Squadron Agent Figure. It’s a GameStop exclusive.
- Sony is offering a free theme to those who pre-order the game ahead of its release date.
- You’ll want to signup for the Star Wars Newsletter. If you do, you will receive the exclusive in-game “Not the Droids” emote. Make sure you use the email associated with the EA account you will use to play Star Wars Battlefront 2.
- We don’t expect a release for PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.
we will have dedicated servers, like always.
— Dennis Brännvall (@DICE_FireWall) April 16, 2017
it's not the same freedom, but you can definitely customise your trooper class quite drastically to suit your playstyle
— Dennis Brännvall (@DICE_FireWall) April 19, 2017
DICE hasn’t confirmed the Star Wars Battlefront 2 PC requirements though its says minimum and recommended specs are “coming soon.”
We expect these to be detailed much closer to the game’s release date.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Demo
If you want to play Star Wars Battlefront 2 before its release date you’ll be able to do that provided you can get to Los Angeles in June.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 will be playable at EA Play next month. Tickets went out on April 20th so you’ll want to signup now if you would like to attend.
We don’t know what the Battlefront 2 demo will entail though we’d expect it to focus on the multiplayer portion of the game rather than the single player.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Editions
There are currently two versions of Star Wars Battlefront 2: The $60 regular version and the Star Wars Battlefront 2 Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition.
For $20 extra, you’ll get a bunch of bonuses including early access to Star Wars Battlefront 2 and instant weapon unlocks.
- Access to play Star Wars Battlefront 2 on November 14 which, again, is a three-day head start.
- Upgraded versions of all 4 trooper classes (Officer, Assault, Heavy, and Specialist).
- Four epic ability upgrades, one for each trooper class.
- Instant weapon unlocks and weapon modifications for each trooper class.
- Exclusive Kylo Ren and Rey-themed looks, inspired by Star Wars: The Last Jedi. (You can get a good look at those in the image above.)
- Epic ability modifiers for Kylo Ren and Rey.
- An epic ability modifier for the Millennium Falcon.
You don’t need to buy the Deluxe Edition to gain access to these perks. DICE says you’ll be able to unlock these extra bonuses by playing the game.
Those who pay the extra $20 for the Deluxe Edition will simply have the extra content available to use from day one.
For more on the Star Wars Battlefront 2 Editions, take a look at our rundown. It’ll help you decide which version to buy.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Content
Thanks to the trailer and the announcements we know quite a bit about Star Wars Battlefront 2’s content.
We know the game will feature three times as much content as the first game. One of the biggest complaints about Star Wars Battlefront (2015) was that its lack of content. Both in the multiplayer and single-player portions of the game. The original didn’t feature a single-player campaign.
DICE has outlined some of this content in detail and here are the most important things to know before you buy the game:
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 features heroes and other content from the prequel trilogy. It will also feature content from The Force Awakens. Included are Darth Maul, Kylo Ren, Rey, Luke Skywalker, and Yoda.
- There is a single-player campaign that’s centered around the woman below. She is Iden Versio and she’s the commander of Inferno Squad, an Imperial special forces unit.
- The Inferno Squad ship is called the Corvus.
- Versio will have access to a “backpack droid” as a customizable companion character.
- The campaign is set during 30-year period between the conclusion of Return of the Jedi and start of The Force Awakens.
- The campaign will include chapters.
- The campaign will feature a progression system similar to the one in multiplayer.
- The game features an offline split-screen co-op mode. Unfortunately, the offline split-screen co-op will be an exclusive feature for the console version of Star Wars Battlefront 2.
- The co-op mode is different from the campaign. There isn’t a co-op Campaign mode.
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 will include space battles. The company notes that you’ll be able fly around Imperial Dock Yards and take down massive capital ships.
- You’ll be able to pilot the Millennium Falcon and Luke Skywalker’s X-wing.
- Dogfights will feature up to 24 players with up to 40 AI ships.
- The other multiplayer modes will feature up to 40 players.
- There are attachments for weapons.
- No vehicle pickups.
- No more hero pickups.
- You can ride Tauntauns.
It looks like there won’t be any of the dynamic destruction you see in the Battlefield series. It also looks like the game could include VR content.
Sony recently put its PSVR logo on a Star Wars Battlefront 2 listing inside of its monthly PlayStation newsletter.
DICE released a special VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront so it wouldn’t be surprising to see something similar from the next version of the game.
According to GameStop, Boba Fett will be included in the game.
In a list for it the $90 Nerf Rival Apollo XV-700 – Star Wars Mandalorian Edition Blaster and Face Mask the retailer notes that these items are inspired “by the all-new Star Wars: Battlefront II video game.”
The blaster and face mask are currently up for pre-order ahead of a November 17th release date, same as the game itself.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 DLC
Unlike Star Wars Battlefront and other popular games like Battlefield 1, Star Wars Battlefront 2 won’t feature a Season Pass. The move is an attempt to avoid a fragmented community, something that plagued the previous game.
This doesn’t mean the game won’t have DLC. Instead of a Season Pass, EA says that it’s working on something different for this game though the company hasn’t shared its plans yet.
The company notes that this change should allow “you to play longer, be [more] invested in the game without having a fragmented community.” The company recently relayed this statement to IGN:
While we’re not ready to confirm any live service plans just yet, what we can say is this we heard the feedback from our Battlefront community loud and clear. We know they want more depth, more progression, and more content. So we’re focused on delivering that in every dimension of Star Wars Battlefront II. We’ll have more to share about our plans soon.
For more on the current status of Star Wars Battlefront 2 DLC, take a look at our roundup.
Buy for Star Wars Battlefront 2 Deals
You don't need to wait for Star Wars Battlefront 2 deals.
It used to be that you'd have to wait several weeks, sometimes several months, to save on the price of a game.T That's not the case anymore. You can already save on Star Wars Battlefront 2 right now.
The best Star Wars Battlefront 2 deals require you to be part of a paid membership program like Amazon Prime or Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked. Amazon and Best Buy knock 20% off the price for Prime and GCU members.
If you buy three or more games every two years, Best Buy's program is worthy of consideration. You'll always get 20% off games.
The Amazon Prime 20% off deal stops two weeks after the game's release (November 17), which is definitely a reason to buy the game in the near future.
We aren't expecting any huge Battlefront 2 Black Friday deals so these, and deals from retailers like Costco, are going to be your best bet right now.
3 Reasons to Buy the Apple Watch 5 & 2 Reasons Not To
There are great reasons to buy the Apple Watch 5 right now, but there are also important reasons to wait...
Samsung Galaxy Android 10 Update Info (2020)
With the Samsung Galaxy Android 10 update rolling out to some devices and new info starting to emerge, we want...