If you’re thinking about buying The Last of Us 2 there are some things you should consider before the game arrives on PS4 next month.
After years of rumors and speculation and a couple delays, Naughty Dog’s latest game is finally ready to hit consoles around the world.
Assuming it doesn’t get delayed again, and that looks doubtful at this point, it will hit PlayStation 4 consoles on June 19th.
With the release date just a few short weeks away, we want to help prospective buyers, and those that have already put in a pre-order, prepare for the game’s release.
Decide If You Want to Pre-Order
While you might be tempted to pre-order The Last of Us 2 ahead of its release date, some of you might want to hold off.
We’ve released a guide that will take you through the best reasons to, and not to, pre-order a copy right now and it’s worth a look if you’re on the fence.
One thing to keep in mind is that most retailers allow you to cancel a pre-order, free-of-charge, before a game ships. For example, Amazon won’t charge you until the game ships and you can cancel anytime.
That said, there are some retailers that will charge you immediately. Sony is one of them. So if you aren’t prepared to cough up cash for the game right now, you’ll want to choose wisely.
Buy the Right Last of Us 2 Edition
- Pre-order & receive the following special in-game items: Ammo Capacity Upgrade: Unlock an ammo capacity upgrade for Ellie's pistol. Crafting Training Manual: Unlock the Crafting Training Manual, which provides access to new crafting recipes and upgrades.
- A Complex & Emotional Story-Experience the escalating moral conflicts created by Ellie's relentless pursuit of Vengeance. The cycle of violence left in her wake will challenge your notions of right versus wrong, good versus evil, and hero versus villain.
- A Beautiful Yet Dangerous World - Set out on Ellie's journey, taking her from the peaceful mountains and forests of Jackson to the lush, overgrown ruins of greater Seattle. Encounter new survivor groups, and terrifying evolutions of the infected.
- Tense & Desperate Action-Survival Gameplay - New & evolved gameplay systems deliver upon the life-or-death stakes of Ellie's journey through the hostile world.
Most people will probably want to go with the standard edition, but the other bundles certainly have their appeal.
If you aren’t sure which Last of Us 2 edition to buy, take a look at our guide. It will take you through each and make some recommendations based on your interest level and budget.
Track the Ellie Edition If You Want It
If you really want The Last of Us 2’s Ellie Edition, or the Collector’s Edition for that matter, and you don’t want to buy either right now, make sure you track stock as we push toward the game’s release date.
Both of these bundles are hard to find right now. Amazon is currently sold out of both of them and it’s unclear when (or even if) stock will return.
If you want to find one of these before the release date you’ll want track the stock. Fortunately, there’s an easy way to do that and we’ve outlined it in this guide.
Avoid Buying Bundles on eBay
If you want one of these editions, want to play the game on release day, but don’t want to pay more than retail price, make sure you pre-order when you again.
Right now, the Ellie Edition is sitting well above $300 on Ebay and prices could jump up even further as we get closer to the game’s release date.
We probably won’t see a ton of deals on these bundles so if you can find it for $229.99, you’ll probably want to order. Again, you should be able to cancel your order if you decide you don’t want to spend that kind of cash.
Keep Tabs on Your Order
As we get closer to the Last of Us 2’s release date, make sure you keep an eye on your order. This will help you avoid potential headaches.
If you pre-ordered a long time ago, make sure your delivery information is up-to-date. If you moved, you might have forgotten to change your address. You’ll also want to make sure your payment information is correct.
If you decide to pre-order one of the more expensive bundles, make sure you check on it once in awhile to make sure everything is still good to go. We occasionally see issues with popular bundles.
Buy an External Hard Drive If You Need One
The Last of Us 2 will require a pretty sizable download if you buy the digital version.
According to a listing on the PlayStation website, PS4 owners will need a minimum of 100 GB free in order to properly install the game. This is much larger than most games and it’s one of the biggest PS4 games to date.
- Superfast read write speeds: SSD with V-NAND offers ultra-fast data transfer speeds of up to 540MB/s (up to 4.9x faster than external HDDs); Ideal for transferring large-sized data including 4K videos, high-resolution photos, games and more
- Compact and portable design: Top to bottom shock resistant metal design fits in the palm of your hand and easily slides in your pocket or purse to take work and entertainment on the go
- Secure encryption: Optional password protection and AES 256-bit hardware encryption keeps your personal and private data more secure
- Seamless connectivity: Includes USB type C to C and USB type C to A cables to connect to PCs, Macs, smartphones and other devices
- Warranty and compatibility: 3-year limited warranty; Requires Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), Android 4.4 (KitKat), or higher; Older versions of the Windows, Mac and Android operating systems may not be supported
If you already have a huge internal and/or external hard drive, you should be good to go. That said, if you’re using an older console with limited space, you might want to invest in an external hard drive.
Look for Last of Us 2 Deals
If you don’t want to pay full price for a copy of the game, make sure you keep your eyes out for deals.
Retailers sometimes knock $5-10 off the price to stay competitive ahead of a game’s release so make sure you look around before paying full price. Sites like Slickdeals will help.
If you don’t need to play the game right away, we should see a bunch of deals in late 2020 during Black Friday and the holiday shopping season.
Follow Naughty Dog
If you’re interested in the game, make sure you follow Naughty Dog’s Twitter account for the latest information about the game and more.
Think About Upgrading Your Console
If you’re holding onto a PS3 and want to play The Last of Us 2, you’ll need to upgrade to a PS4 in order to play the game.
If you own an original PlayStation 4, you own a 4K television, and you want the smoothest, best-looking version of the game, you might want to look into buying a PS4 Pro.
If you don’t know much about the PS4 Pro, we’ve put together a guide to the PlayStation 4 Pro that will help.
With Sony’s PlayStation 5 coming later this year, some of you might just want to hold out until then. That said, you might find a great deal on the PS4 Pro. And a lot of you will be just fine with a PS4 Pro in 2020 and beyond.
Pre-Order for These Bonuses
If you pre-order a copy of Cyberpunk 2077, you'll get some nice bonuses with your order.
Everyone who pre-orders a copy of the game will get a collection of physical and digital items. Here's what you can expect if you buy a copy before the game's release date in December:
There are also some unique pre-order bonuses through retailers like Google, GameStop, and GOG.
If you pre-order through GameStop you get a Samurai Medallion. The retailer says this offer is only available to PowerUp Rewards Members.
If you pre-order through GOG you get an exclusive digital game booklet, additional wallpapers and avatars, print quality posters, and 30% off official Cyberpunk 2077 merch store.
If you buy the game for Google's Stadia, you'll get a Stadia Premiere kit ($100) for free. The deal lasts until December 17th though it's only available until supplies last.
The Stadia Premiere kit includes a Chromecast Ultra, a white Stadia controller, and a one-month trial for Stadia Pro if you don't have it already.
If you pre-order the game via Steam you'll get a short story written by the developer's Story Lead, Tomasz Marchewka called 2AM — She Calls.
If any of these sound interesting to you, think about pre-ordering a copy.
Last update on 2020-12-15. This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read our disclosure policy for more details. Images via Amazon API
This article may contain affiliate links. Click here for more details.