After months of leaks and rumors, Samsung will officially announce the Galaxy S9 and a bigger Galaxy S9+ on February 25th. However, there are almost no surprises left as we know just about everything already. Recently, a slew of leaked photos revealed even more about what’s next for Samsung. With that in mind, here are 35 exciting Galaxy S9 features you’ll love.
This year is more of an evolutionary upgrade than a revolutionary one. Meaning the Galaxy S9 and S9+ look almost identical to the Galaxy S8 from 2017. Featuring the same big 5.8 and 6.2-inch displays, but with a new camera and extra features to make them the best Galaxy phones ever.
Adding to the rumors and excitement we received tons of information from the German site WinFuture. Who revealed tons of information just days ahead of Samsung’s official announcement. They shared a slew of photos and specs previously unknown, like dual stereo speakers on the Galaxy S9. Before the February 25th launch event, here are some features and details worth getting excited about.
Again, we know pretty much everything already. The biggest change or surprise is the new variable aperture camera. Where Samsung’s Galaxy S9 can change apertures whether you have plenty of light, or not enough, and still get the best photo in any situation.
Other details include the same overall design as last year but with subtle changes throughout. Some of those being a centered rear fingerprint scanner, dual cameras on the Galaxy S9+, more RAM, and the same size battery as last year. Even if these aren’t big upgrades over the last generation, you’ll still love everything both phones have to offer.
30 Exciting Galaxy S9 Features
This is everything we know so far about the Galaxy S9 and some of the exciting changes. A lot of this information will be the same as the Galaxy S8, and some stems from rumors, just keep that in mind. We’ll know everything for sure in just a few days.
Galaxy S9 Display & Design
- Galaxy S9 comes with a big 5.8-inch Infinity Display, S9+ is 6.2-inches
- Dimensions are nearly identical to the Galaxy S8/S8+
- 18.5:9 aspect ratio (thin and tall device) slightly smaller bottom bezel compared to last year
- Galaxy S9 & S9+ Infinity display resolution is 2960 x 1440 Quad-HD
- Like the last two years, both phones will use 1080p Full HD by default for improved performance and battery life
- No fingerprint scanner in the display or physical home button (fingerprint scanner on back)
- Curved Infinity display has less of a curve than the Galaxy S8, for improved durability
- Dual Stereo Speakers: Bottom-firing subwoofer and earpiece is the second speaker for better audio (similar to the iPhone)
- IP68 Dust & Water Resistance: 5ft for over 30 minutes (better than iPhone 8/X)
Galaxy S9 Camera(s)
- 12 DualPixel Variable f/1.5-f/2.4 aperture lens, slow-motion, OIS, more (Single rear camera on S9)
- Dual Rear cameras on the bigger Galaxy S9+ with the same variable aperture controls (both have OIS)
- Rumors suggest new 1,000 FPS slow-motion recording, other neat new camera features
- 8MP Improved auto-focus selfie front camera (portrait mode rumors)
Galaxy S9 Battery Life & Charging
One potential surprise we might get from Samsung is regarding battery life. That’s because early rumors suggested larger battery capacity this year, but recent rumors suggest otherwise. The Galaxy S7 Edge still has a bigger battery than the Galaxy S8+, and will likely beat the S9+ too. Unless Samsung makes a change to these phones in 2018.
- Galaxy S9 to come with 3,000 mAh battery (same as Galaxy S8)
- Galaxy S9+ Plus to come with 3,500 mAh battery (same as Galaxy S8+)
- Early rumors suggest 3,200 mAh and 3,650 mAh (unconfirmed)
- Fast Charging with USB Type-C, and even faster Wireless Charging
Galaxy S9 Fingerprint Scanner, Iris Scanner & Security
- Rear-mounted fingerprint scanner centered (not off to the side)
- Front-facing Iris Scanner and Face unlock might be combined to compete with Apple’s Face ID
- Fingerprint Scanner gesture support, programmable gestures for quick launch (camera etc)
Another gray area where we don’t have all the information yet is around the sensors on the top of the phone. Samsung’s Galaxy S8 and Note 8 have facial scanning and an Iris eye scanner for improved security. However, rumors suggest Samsung might have something similar to Apple’s Face ID.
Basically, combining the facial recognition and Iris scanning technology into the 8MP front camera for an all-new unlock method. However, the main focus will remain on the newly moved rear-mounted fingerprint scanner.
Galaxy S9 Specs & Performance
While we already know pretty much everything about these phones, including the specs, here are a few more details for those curious.
- 4GB of RAM on S9 with 64GB of internal storage (microSD expansion included)
- 7GB of RAM on the Galaxy S9+ with 64GB of storage and microSD expansion (might have a 128 or 256GB model)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 Processor and Samsung Exynos 8-core processor outside the US
- Android 8.0 Oreo with Samsung’s User Experience (Quick update to Android 8.1 Oreo)
- Samsung Pay
- Reversible USB Type-C port for charging and sync (plugs in both ways)
- Samsung will keep the 3.5mm headphone jack, at least for now (no courage)
- Dual-band Gigabit WiFi support, Bluetooth 5.0, LE, aptX, more
- micro-SD expansion support up to 256GB cards (over 300GB storage possible)
Extra Galaxy S9 Info
Again, nothing is for sure until Samsung confirms the information up on stage. That said, we’re pretty confident in a most of the information detailed here today. A few other small changes are likely coming, and new software or hardware features that Samsung kept quiet.
We are expecting new 3D Emoji too, similar to Apple’s Animoji, only it works with the entire body. Not just face emojis.
- New 3D Emoji Feature
- DeX Pad: Improved Desktop Expansion accessory that lays flat, doubles as trackpad, and keyboard
- Colors: Black, Titanium Silver, Lilac Purple, Blue, and Gold (vary by region)
- Expensive: Rumors suggest $899 and $999 pricing in the United States (Galaxy S8 was $750)
- Exciting new Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ Accessories coming soon
Galaxy S9 Release Date & Price
As we mentioned above, the Galaxy S9 and S9+ will be expensive smartphones. The Galaxy Note 8 was Samsung’s most expensive phone to date. and while we doubt the price will go beyond the Note 8, it’s certainly possible. When you factor in the improved camera, and dual cameras on the Galaxy S9+, pricing sounds about right. We’ll update once we know for sure.
In closing, when is the Galaxy S9 release date? We’re not 100% sure yet, but we have a pretty good idea. Samsung will announce both phones on February 25th, and we expect pre-orders to start on March 1st.
However, that’s only pre-orders. The global release date will likely be around March 11th in South Korea, and between March 12-16th for the United States and most regions around the globe.
Either way, this is shaping up as Samsung’s best smartphone yet. As soon as we have more information we’ll update this post.
This article may contain affiliate links. Click here for more details.