DICE’s rolling out a yet another Battlefield 1 patch and today we want to guide you through the Battlefield 1 March 2018 update’s changes, size, and more.
DICE won’t release anymore Battlefield 1 DLC expansion packs, but it appears the company will continue to support the game with updates as we push toward the release of Battlefield 2018.
The Easter Battlefield 1 update doesn’t come with a long list of new features, but it does deliver a wide range of improvements and bug fixes for lingering issues.
It’s an important, and mandatory, patch for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Windows PC users and this walkthrough will lead you through the key things to know before you download.
Battlefield 1 March 2018 Update Size
DICE’s latest patch is a pretty substantial download. It’s also, like all Battlefield 1 updates, a mandatory download for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Windows PC.
If you’re planning to play Battlefield 1 today you’re looking at a 3.5 GB download on the Windows PC, a 4.37 GB download on the PlayStation 4, and around 3.5GB for the Xbox One X.
If you don’t have a ton of space available on your console or Windows PC you might need to free up some space in order to install the patch.
Team Balancer & Matchmaking
The Easter Battlefield 1 update comes with a few notable features including a new Team Balancer and improvements to Apocalypse matchmaking. Here’s how the new mid-round Team Balancer works:
- There are 10 or more players in the server.
- There must be a mid-round change to the player count in the match.
- If the team sizes differ by at least 3 players, an imbalance will be indicated and after 30 seconds the teams will be rebalanced.
- Players will be evaluated by the amount of score they have contributed and duration of time they have been on the team – the higher in both criteria will lessen, or remove, your chances of moving.
- If a player is moved by the Mid-Round Team Balancer, they will not be moved a second time.
- Players in parties will not be moved.
- Players in squads are less likely to be moved.
- The Mid-Round Team Balancer will wait until a player has lost their life before switching teams; if a player is already in the deploy screen when the balancing occurs, they would need to deploy and lose their life before being moved.
DICE’s update also comes with some long-awaited adjustments to the game’s bloom effects. These exposure adjustments are aimed at improving visibility when looking outdoors from inside a building. These improvements apply to the following maps:
- Ballroom Blitz
- Sinai Desert
- Verdun Heights
- Lupkow Pass
- Heligoland Bight
DICE’s latest update also comes with an assortment of tweaks and bug fixes for all three platforms. Here’s the full list of changes for your platform:
Weapons, Vehicles & Gadgets
- Fixed an issue in Caporetto where the Heavy Bomber spawned too low on the Austrian-Hungarian side and took damage from the ground immediately upon spawning in.
- Fixed an issue where players occasionally detonated Tripwires when they didn’t trip on the device.
- Fixed an issue where the Howell Automatic Sniper had different ammo count to the Factory variant.
- Fixed an issue where the Dreadnought horn occasionally would not stop blaring.
Maps & Modes
- Improved the balance of Volga River in the Red Tide Operation.
- Fixed an issue where players were able to reach unintended rooftops in Amiens.
- Fixed an issue where players would encounter invisible collision after destroying bridges on Amiens.
- Fixed an issue where players would encounter invisible collision when existing the fort on Monte Grappa.
- Fixed an issue where players would encounter invisible collision near the D capture flag in Fao Fortress.
- Fixed the fidelity of some trees on the River Somme map.
Unlocks and Player Journey
- Corrected the rarity grade of the PTFO weapon skins to Legendary.
- Corrected the rarity grade of the Incarcerator weapon skin to Distinguished.
- Fixed an issue where the Reaper Affliction would trigger a constant grunting sound effect while the player was taking damage.
UX and UI
- Fixed an issue where long Platoon names sometimes would run out of the Best Squad list.
- Fixed an issue where the Howell Automatic Rifle Grenade HE gadget was missing an icon.
- Fixed an issue where the Doughboy M1911 occasionally would not display in the Customize screen.
- Fixed an issue where the Trench Clearer skin on the M1909 would not appear in the Customize screen.
- Fixed the thumbnail for the Battle of Festubert skin on the Automatico M1918.
- Fixed an issue where players who are using VOIP were not being indicated on the End of Round screen.
- Fixed an issue where the map voting images for London Calling: Scourge and London Calling: Raiders did not appear.
- Fixed an issue where the Operation name remained on screen when entering the Best Squad screen.
- Fixed an issue where the player would not return to the Globe after canceling the matchmaking initiated through the “Join Any Operation” button.
- Fixed an issue where the capture progress indicator would display the incorrect color when planting explosives at the telegraph in Frontlines.
- Fixed an issue where various weapons were missing components when viewing them in the Modify screen on the front-end menus.
- Fixed an issue with z-fighting (two graphical objects occupying the same coordinates, making the game engine show both in a flickering way.) This appeared on the magazine of the Autoloading 8.25 Extended when viewing it in the Modify screen with the Battle of Cote 304 skin equipped.
- Fixed an issue where the rarity indication colors were missing for Distinguished and Legendary skins when opening the Assault Edition Class Battlepack.
With Battlefield 2018 announcements coming in June, we could see Battlefield 1 development start to slow down. DICE’s already closed the CTE for consoles as the company shifts its attention to the next game.
We expect the Battlefield 1 CTE for PC to continue on, even as Battlefield 2018 takes over as the company’s flagship game. Battlefield 4 was initially released in late 2013, but the Battlefield 4 CTE lived on until in March 2017.