Your AirPods will alert you with a tone when they’re running low and again when their battery life is about to run out.
You can also manually check your AirPods battery life on your iPhone, iPad, Mac, or even your Apple Watch. There’s also a way to check AirPod battery life without a paired device.
Here’s how to check battery life on a pair of AirPods, AirPods 2, AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max.
- How to Check AirPods Battery Life on iPhone or iPad
- How to Check AirPods Battery Life on Apple Watch
- How to Check AirPods Battery Life on Mac
- How to Check AirPods Battery Life Without a Paired Device
How to Check AirPods Battery Life on iPhone or iPad
If you’ve got an iPhone or iPad handy, you can check your AirPods battery life by following a few easy steps.
- If your AirPods are currently in the charging case, make sure Bluetooth is currently turned on on your iPhone or iPad.
- Open the AirPods case and bring it close to your iPhone or iPad.
- After you do this you should get a popup that will show you the battery life status of your AirPods. You’ll also see the status of your charging case.
- If you want to check the battery life of one AirPod, remove one from the case.
If you are using a pair of AirPods Max, their battery status should appear on your iPhone or iPad when you take them out of the Smart Case.
If you want to view your AirPods battery life while using them, you’ll want to use the Batteries widget which can be accessed on your device’s Today View. Today View is the screen you see when you swipe right on your device’s lock screen or home screen.
If you want to enable the Batteries widget on your iPhone or iPad, here’s what you need to do:
- Unlock your iPhone or iPad.
- Swipe right on the home screen.
- If you don’t see the widget, scroll down to the bottom of the page and tap Edit.
- If you’re running iOS 14, you’ll see a plus symbol in the top right corner. Tap that.
- Find the Batteries widget and tap Add Widget.
The Batteries widget will show you the battery percentage of all your devices which makes it extremely useful.
You can also ask Siri for information about your AirPods battery life. Simply ask “How is the battery life of my (name of your AirPods)?” and you’ll get your answer.
How to Check AirPods Battery Life on Apple Watch
If you like to use your AirPods on walks, jogs, or long runs and you typically leave your iPhone at home, you can use your Apple Watch to check your AirPods battery life. You can do this if they are paired with your iPhone or if they’re paired directly with your watch.
- Open Control Center on your Apple Watch by swiping up from the bottom of the screen.
- On the next screen, tap the icon showing battery percentage.
- If your AirPods are connected, you will see their battery life.
If you want to check the battery life of one AirPod on Apple Watch, put one bud inside the charging case.
How to Check AirPods Battery Life on Mac
If you’d prefer to check your AirPods battery life on your iMac or MacBook, here’s how you do that.
First, make sure your AirPods are connected to your Mac. You can check this by heading into your System Preferences and then clicking Bluetooth. Once you’ve ensured they’re connected, follow these steps.
- If you’re running macOS Big Sur, click on the Control Center icon in your toolbar. The icon looks like two pills.
- In the drop down menu click on Bluetooth.
- On the next screen you will now be able to see the battery life of each AirPod.
Alternatively, you can click on the Bluetooth symbol in the toolbar to see your AirPods battery percentage.
If you don’t see the Bluetooth icon in your toolbar, you need to go into System Preferences, click Bluetooth, and then click Show Bluetooth in menu bar at the bottom.
How to Check AirPods Battery Life Without a Paired Device
You can also gauge your AirPods battery life without having a paired device around.
Put your AirPods in their case and open the lid. Look at the color of the LED light. If you see a green light, they’re over 50% charged. If you see an amber color that means less than one full charge remains.
Install iOS 14.4.2 for Better Security
If security is important to you, think about installing iOS 14.4.2 right now.
iOS 14.4.2 has an important security patch on board and you can read more about the change over on Apple's website.
If you missed iOS 14.4.1, you get its patch with your upgrade to iOS 14.4.2. You can read about that patch right here.
If you skipped iOS 14.4, you get the update's patches with your upgrade. You can learn more about iOS 14.4's security patches right here.
If you skipped iOS 14.3 you'll get its nine security updates with your upgrade. You can read more about them on its security site.
iOS 14.3 also included a new privacy information section on App Store pages that includes a developer-reported summary of the app’s privacy practices.
If you skipped iOS 14.2, your iOS 14.4.2 update includes 24 additional security patches. You can learn more about the patches on Apple's security website.
If you're still running iOS 13, iOS 14.4.2 includes iOS 14.0's security updates.
iOS 14.0 brought 11 new security patches to the iPhone. If you're interested in the exact nature of these improvements, you can read about them over on Apple's website.
In addition to those patches, iOS 14 comes with some security and privacy upgrades including improvements to Home/HomeKit and Safari.
For instance in Safari, you can now tap the Privacy Report button to better understand how websites handle your privacy.
With iOS 14 on board you can now get information on the App Store that will help you understand the privacy practices of apps before you download them.
There is also a new recording indicator that will appear at the top of your screen whenever an app is using your microphone or camera. You can see if an app has used them recently in Control Center.
Researchers also discovered that Apple brought a new "BlastDoor" sandbox security system to iOS 14. The system is meant to prevent attacks from occurring via the Messages app.
You can read more about "BlastDoor" right here.