If you're dealing with issues on your device, you should download the iOS 12.1.2 update right now.
The iOS 12.1.2 update comes with a couple of new bug fixes:
- It fixes bugs with eSIM activation for iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max.
- It also Addresses an issue that could affect cellular connectivity in Turkey for iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max.
If you skipped iOS 12.1.1, you get a longer list of bug fixes with your version of iOS 12.1.2. These fixes include:
- A Fix for an issue where Face ID may temporarily become unavailable.
- A fix an issue that prevented visual voicemail from downloading for some customers.
- A fix for an issue in Messages that could prevent predictive text suggestions when typing on the Chinese or Japanese keyboards.
- A fix for an issue that could prevent Voice Memos recordings from uploading to iCloud.
- A fix for an issue where time zones may not have updated automatically.
If you skipped iOS 12.1, you'll get a longer list of bug fixes with your version of iOS 12.1.2.
The iOS 12.1 update addressed the "BeautyGate" issue where the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max apply a skin-smoothing filter to photos making them look unnatural. Other bug fixes on board iOS 12.1 included:
- Improved cellular connectivity for iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR
- Fix for an issue where the sharpest reference frame was not always selected in front-facing photos for iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR
- Fix for an issue that caused messages to be merged into one thread when two users were signed in with the same Apple ID on multiple iPhones
- Fix for an issue that prevented some voicemails from appearing in the Phone app
- Fix for an issue in the Phone app that could cause phone numbers to appear without their corresponding contact name
- Fix for an issue that could prevent Screen Time from reporting specific websites in the activity report
- Fix for an issue that could prevent adding or removing family members from Family Sharing
- Fix for an issue that could cause MDM Device Enrollment to report an Invalid Profile error for some enterprise users
If you skipped iOS 12.0.1, your iOS 12.1.2 update comes with additional bug fixes including key improvements for the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max.
The iOS 12.0.1 update focused on fixing some of the early problems plaguing Apple's new operating system and its new phones. Here's what it fixed:
- Fixes an issue where some iPhone XS devices did not immediately charge when connected to a Lightning cable.
- Resolves an issue that could cause iPhone XS devices to rejoin a Wi-Fi network at 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz.
- Restores the original position of the “.?123″ key on the iPad keyboard.
- Fixes an issue where subtitles may not appear in some video apps.
- Addresses an issue where Bluetooth could become unavailable.
If you're still running iOS 11, there are some great reasons to make the move to the new operating system right now.
The iOS 12 update is focused on improving performance. The company's aging iPhone 5s will open apps 40% faster, swipe to the camera from the lock screen 70% faster, show the keyboard faster, and deliver better all-around performance. Other devices benefit as well.
If you own a newer model you'll see sharing options 2x faster and your apps should launch much faster than they did on iOS 11.
iOS 12.1.2 could also fix performance issues like severe battery drain, broken Wi-Fi connectivity, UI lag, busted Bluetooth, random reboots, lockups and freezes, and various issues with first-party applications.
If you're struggling on iOS 12.1.1, iOS 12.1, iOS 12.0.1, iOS 12.0, iOS 11.4.1, or an older version of iOS 11, you should give iOS 12.1.2 a try. Be sure to dig into feedback from iOS 12.1.2 users before you install.