This guide will show you where to download the iOS 10 GM and how to install the iOS 10 GM on any Apple device that supports iOS 10 so you can try the update out early without paying for access.
Normally users need to pay Apple to register as a developer, join the official beta program or pay to register a UDID with a third-party site, but the iOS 10 GM does not require this anymore.
Like the earlier iOS GM releases you an install this update without registering and without wiping your iPhone — but you should still backup your iPhone before installing the iOS 10 GM.
After months of testing the iOS 10 GM arrives just ahead of a public iOS 10 release date on September 13th. A GM normally offers a finished product, but there is a chance for some small bugs to remain. If you try the iOS 10 GM and don’t like it you can go back to iOS 9.3.5.
The iOS 10 GM download is not meant for the general public, despite the ease of upgrading. If you use your iPhone or iPad for work or are traveling, you should wait for the full release. If you are jailbroken do not use the iOS 10 GM as you cannot downgrade to a jailbreakable version of iOS.
Here’s where to find iOS 10 GM download links and how to install iOS 10 early using the GM.
How to Install the iOS 10 GM
The iOS 10 GM is available on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch for all devices that support iOS 10. If your device runs iOS 9, there is a good chance it will run iOS 10. You can install iOS 10 early without registering your device with Apple. It is a good idea to avoid using the macOS Sierra beta to install the iOS 10 GM.
1. Find an iOS 10 GM download link from the Apple Developer program or by searching online.
2. Download the right iOS 10 GM for your device.
3. Plug the iPhone or iPad into the computer and perform a local backup to be safe.
4. Open iTunes and upgrade to the iOS 10 GM by choosing Check for Update.
- Be sure to hold alt/option on Mac when you click Check for Update.
- On Windows, hold Shift when you click Check for Update.
5. Click on your ipsw file and then on Open.
6. Allow the iOS 10 GM install to complete. If you run into problems you can backup your iPhone and choose “Restore iPhone” with the special click instead of Check for Update.
Users can install the iOS 10 GM on the iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4 and iPod touch 6th generation. When on iOS 10 users can install the WatchOS 2 GM to the Apple Watch.
The slides below walk through many of the new iOS 10 features so you can see what is new and how it compares to the iOS 9 update.
What's New in iOS 10.1
This is a list of what's new in iOS 10.1, including new features like Portrait mode on the iPhone 7 Plus and a number of important fixes for the iPhone and iPad.
Camera and Photos
Other improvements and fixes
Keep reading to check out the iOS 10 features and iOS 10.1 features that these updates offer.