Here are the biggest new iOS 13 features available on your iPhone. Yes, we said iPhone, because Apple spun off the iPad version to iPadOS, which is also bringing many new features to the iPad. We’ll show you how iOS 13 vs iOS 12 looks with comparisons of what’s changed and details about the changes. This list now also includes what’s new in iOS 13.1, which Apple released just days after iOS 13.
Apple packs in a lot of features that users have asked for including a Dark Mode, but that’s not all. The new iOS 13 features include a host of performance upgrades, app redesigns and potentially game-changing options for editing photos and videos as well as finding the best photos you’ve taken.
Here’s what’s new in iOS 13 and the iOS 13.1 update.
- Dark Mode in iOS 13 – New wallpapers, apps, widgets and more –
- Quick Path keyboard – You can now swipe to type
- New Share Sheet – Suggestions for sharing and new design.
- Music App – Time synced lyrics and Dark mode support.
- New CarPlay – You get a dashboard, calendar, and new music experience.
- Reminders App – Completely updated Reminders app with Today, Scheduled, Flagged and All. Plus new AI features and a new look.
- Maps Updates – Favorites and Lists of Favorites plus trip planning and ETA sharing. New Street view like feature.
- New Location Privacy – Share location once, get background tracking, and WiFi and Bluetooth tracking protection.
- Sign in with Apple – You can sign into apps and sites with Apple without sharing tracking info or personal information.
- Messages – Share name and Photo with Memoji or Animoji when you message someone.
- Memoji – New Memoji customization including makeup, piercings, and accessories.
- Memoji Stickers – sticker packs for all your Memoji including in messages, apps and you can now use Memoji editing on anything with an A9 chip or later.
- Controller Support – Use PS4 or Xbox One controllers with your iPhone.
- Camera Upgrades – iOS 13 portrait lighting upgrades – High Key Mono and you can adjust lighting effects.
- New Photo & Video Editing – Easily edit your photos in new ways and you can now edit videos just like you do a photo. This includes rotating videos and adding filters
- Photos App Upgrades – Machine Learning removes duplicates and helps surface the good ones. You’ll also get albums of key moments.
- HomeKit Secure Video – Video analyzing done locally and then stored in iCloud.
- HomeKit at the Router – Routers providing additional security right at the router level.
- Performance Upgrades – Apps Launch Twice as Fast + 30% Faster Face ID.
- Space Saving Upgrades – 50% smaller downloads and 60% smaller updates.
- External Storage – You can connect an SD card or thumb drive to the iPhone and import into the Files app.
- Share ETA from Apple Maps – You can now share your ETA to a friend form inside Apple Maps.
- AirDorp Upgrades for New iPhones – The iPhone 11 & iPhone 11 Pro can now AirDrop with the U1 Chip.
- Shortcuts Updates – Shortcuts now show you suggestions int eh gallery and support for running shortcuts based on triggers.
- Battery Health – The Battery Health features are updated to optimize charging, prevent unexpected shutdowns and notifications if the phone can’t verify a genuine battery.
In addition to the exciting features listed above, the iOS 13.1 update includes a number of bug fixes and security updates. Here are the fixes in iOS 13.1;
- Adds a link to the Me tab in Find My to allow a guest to sign in and locate a missing device
- Includes notifications for when the display on your iPhone is unable to be verified as a new, genuine Apple display in iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max
- Addresses issues in Mail that could cause incorrect download counts, missing senders and subjects, difficulty selecting or flagging threads, duplicate notifications or overlapping fields
- Fixes an issue in Mail that may prevent background downloading of email messages
- Addresses an issue that could prevent Memoji from correctly tracking facial expressions in Messages
- Fixes an issue where photos might not display in the Messages details view
- Fixes an issue in Reminders that prevented some users from sharing iCloud lists
- Resolves an issue in Notes where Exchange notes may not show up in search results
- Addresses an issue in Calendar where birthday events could appear multiple times
- Addresses an issue that could prevent third-party sign in screens from appearing in the Files app
- Fixes an issue that could cause Camera orientation to appear rotated when swiping to it from the Lock screen
- Addresses an issue that could cause the display to sleep while interacting with the Lock screen
- Resolves issues where app icons could appear as blank or as a different app on the Home screen
- Resolves an issue that could prevent supported wallpapers from switching appearances when changing between Light and Dark modes
- Addresses stability issues when signing out of iCloud from Passwords & Accounts in Settings
- Fixes an issue where signing in to update Apple ID settings could fail repeatedly
- Fixes an issue that could prevent the device from vibrating when connecting to a charger
- Addresses an issue that could cause people and groups in the Share Sheet to appear blurred
- Fixes an issue that could prevent alternate words from displaying when tapping on a misspelled word
- Resolves an issue where multilingual typing could stop working
- Addresses an issue that could prevent switching back to the QuickType keyboard after using a third-party keyboard
- Fixes an issue that could prevent the edit menu from appearing when selecting text
- Fixes an issue where Siri may not read Messages in CarPlay
- Addresses an issue that could prevent sending a message using third party messaging apps in CarPlay
The iOS 13 update is a free update available to most iPhones and iPods right now. Apple is not offering it on the iPhone 5s or iPhone 6, so if you own one of these devices you will need to upgrade to a new iPhone or wait for the 2020 iPhone.
17 Exciting Things You Can Do With the Oculus Quest
The Oculus Quest is a VR headset that you can use to play Virtual Reality games, delve into experiences and much...
The Best Gifts for iPhone Owners
These are the best gifts you can give an iPhone owner. I spend every day testing the latest and greatest...