Nexus 7 Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Update Rolling Out Slowly

In addition to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus Android 4.2 Jelly Bean OTA update that started rolling out to customers today, Google has announced that the Nexus 7 Android 4.2 Jelly Bean update is currently rolling out Over-the-Air to owners today. However, many owners should not expect to see the update arrive today.

Google confirmed the news on its Google+ Nexus page saying that the Nexus 7 Android 4.2 OTA is indeed under way. However, we haven’t heard from many owners who have seen the update roll out over the air. Unfortunately, that’s typical.

Read: Samsung Galaxy Nexus Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Update Starts Rolling Out.

With the Nexus 7 Android 4.1.2 update, Google rolled out the software slowly to Nexus 7 owners with many (including myself) having to wait days for the software to arrive. We expect the same thing to happen here with the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean update. It will roll out in waves with some owners seeing it today and others receiving it over the course of the next week or so.

350061-google-nexus-7

The Nexus 7 Android 4.2 OTA is rolling out according to Google.

As it stands, owners of the Nexus 7 on the Gotta Be Mobile staff have yet to receive the update Over-the-Air.

Owners of the Nexus 7 might want to try a little trick that often works when the update has become available for the device but a prompt has yet to arrive. It takes just a few seconds to perform and it’s worth trying for those that don’t wish to install the update manually. Here are the steps in order to try and check for the update, which may work for some of you and not for others.

1. Go to Settings -> Apps -> All

2. Find Google Services Framework.

3. Tap on Force Stop.

4. Select Clear Data.

5. Head back to the Nexus 7′s Settings, go to About, and check for a System Update.

Again, it’s not going to work for everyone but it’s worth a shot. Some users have reportedly used different combinations of Clear Date and Force Stop to force the update while others have turned off their device then powered it back on after clearing the data.

Read: Android 4.2 Jelly Bean: Everything You Need to Know.

So while the bad news might be that some Nexus 7 owners (like myself) have to wait for the update, the good news is that the update is rolling out and should arrive in the near future.

Those that don’t wish to wait though can install the update manually.

Anyone seeing the update yet?

Comments

1. Vahab says

Got the update to my nexus 7. Installed camera launcher to try photo sphere, but got a message that this model is not yet supported ))

2. john says

Thanks, worked for me too… I’ve been waiting all day for the OTA since I didn’t want to manually do!

3. Juan Amaya says

im getting my update as im typing. i was just about to do the trick posted up here . when i opened my n7 the update was available. wow im so freaking excited rite now!!!

4. Christopher Clark says

This trick worked for me but 4.2 kept aborting installation. I had a stock ROM but it was rooted and unlocked. I took off root, relocked and tried to flash a stock N7 image with Nexus 7 Toolkit and got a soft brick that would not boot up into anything but fastboot. I unlocked and flashed another version of 4.1.1 and it installed successfully, which let the N7 boot up. After booting up it immediately installed 4.2 :) Talk about pulling teeth. The fact that it was rooted is the reason the update was aborting. I still have it unlocked and it updated to 4.2 with no issues and remains unlocked.

5. yose says

Lots and lots of thanks….just follow the Google framework tricks that you guys posted. And like a magic, my nexus 7 just got updated to jelly bean 4.2. Thanksssss…

6. T S Murali says

Didn’t work for me, may be this is based on the location from where the upgrade is tried.

7. Christopher Clark says

For everyone that is trying the stop and clear on Google Services Framework, you may have to try the trick several times and different ways to get it to work. I stopped my services, cleared cache and powered down immediately after then rebooted and was downloading the update by the time I got into the system updates screen. As mentioned above, the installation initially aborted and then said it was up to date on the 4.1.2 version. I had to keep doing the cache clear in GSF and rebooting to get it to pick back up on the download. If your device is rooted, it will probably abort installation like mine did. I had to take off root and flash the OS back to a stock Google 4.1.1 image before it would successfully install. Don’t give up on one try. I had to attempt the trick multiple times to get it to work. Powering down and starting back up worked the best for me. Good luck!

8. Christopher Clark says

I’ve been playing around in 4.2 on my Nexus 7 since the update and it seems like the screen resolution is not as sharp as the 4.1.2 version. Just going into my settings menu there are distinct gradient lines on the background that were smooth and unnoticeable before. The blue log-in screen on the Facebook app also had gradient lines that were visibly noticeable as well. It doesn’t seem as smooth and sharp as 4.1.2, at least to me. Is anyone else noticing this difference?

9. Anthony says

Amazing! I tried the trick and BINGO! My update rolled through right away, I didn’t have to restart my nexus 7, just force stop, then clear data, then check for update! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

10. Ruminari says

AWESOME TRICK – I stopped the service cleared the cache and rebooted and it worked like a charm.

11. Mike Phillips says

Thanks! Worked for me when I rebooted immediately after clearing data. I’m in Northeastern Ohio.

12. RT says

Thank you for this very informative article. I had to try it a couple of times in order to get it to work.

13. Adam says

Updating now, stopping the service and clearing it, then checking for an update worked! Thanks!