Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX Ice Cream Sandwich Updates Rolling Out Slowly

It’s now June 28th and it appears that many Motorola Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX owners are still waiting for their update to Ice Cream Sandwich to arrive.

We have heard from several Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX owners who say, that despite Verizon saying that the update would be rolling out starting June 22nd, the Ice Cream Sandwich update has yet to arrive on their devices.

We’ve also heard from a few that have confirmed that they have the software up and running on their devices.

When Verizon announced that June 22nd was the beginning of the roll out, we imagined that that meant it would be a roll out to the general public. However, as Droid-Life points out, it appears that that might have just been the start of a soak test for the update meaning the initial users were guinea pigs.

Read: Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX Ice Cream Sandwich Updates Coming to All Users by Tomorrow?

Android updates can often arrive with bugs so Verizon likely wanted to make sure that the software was ready to go before rolling it out to the masses.

The ICS updates for the Droid RAZR are rolling out slowly.

So, it would appear that those who are still without Ice Cream Sandwich, and there seem to be quite a few owners out there without the software upgrade, might see the update roll out in the next day or so.

Those that have waited for months on the end for the update, we know you’re frustrated, but remain patient. The Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX Ice Cream Sandwich updates figure to make both devices a whole lot better than they were on Android 2.3 Gingerbread.

Who has received Android 4.0? Who hasn’t?

Comments

1. Scarecrow says

Miami here, still no update. My phone runs great on gingerbread. Can’t wait for ICS, but rather wait for the OTA. Think my phone runs perfectly fine on gingerbread so I never would bother using a ROM or whatever these geeks do to run ICS on their phone.

2. Karl says

I got the update this moring razr Marx Motorola launched it last night for everyone and I love it so far so good

3. DoeEyes67 says

Nothing in Atlanta for me, however, my boyfriend got his on Saturday….and we’re on the same account. SMH Frustrating, since they just debuted Jellybean yesterday. I just wish Verizon would be more direct on when these things are happening.

4. kevin Augustine says

I have not received my ics update just yet. Holding on for dear life. Lol hurry up? Lmfao. This is a want/need factor. Gingerbread is slowing my phone down.

5. Rex says

I just spoke with a Verizon rep and she told me to check every day but i also got 2 disturbing dates as to when it looks like it’ll be available to me… July 7th and 9th. I seriously hope this is untrue!!!

6. Bill says

Nothing in Cleveland and it’s very frustrating. I bought my Droid Razr the day it came out so I was hoping I would be one of the first ones to get ICS. :-(

7. Stefan says

Any like i still had for verizon is disappearing day by day. Not ike there was much anyway. Unreal guys! lets get your ass in gear verizon! you got two days left till the end of Q2

8. skip says

Nada in omaha…but then again we just got running water last wk…maybe im asking too much…lol

9. Karl says

I called Motorola yesterday 6/27/12 and the icecream sandwich was mass released last night go in your phones and check for updates mine was pushed to my phone this moring 5am only found a few apps that did not work so far I love it

10. jim says

Nothing in Detroit, and when I do get it, iPhone here I come. This is the last straw for Motorola. I have had it.

• Will says

I totally agree with you. Nothing in Green Bay either. The 4.0 release was the reason why I went with this phone over the iphone

• Jeff says

You don’t have the balls. What does your phone not do now that you are getting your panties all bunched up. Stop crying, we don’t want to hear it. Be a real man and show them there crazy motorola/verizon folks you mean business and get yourself an iFail.

11. Daniel Martin says

I have not received mine yet!! and I just checked for system updates and, “Your device is up to date!” message came up….ummmm no its not

12. david says

I’ve had my update since last week works great but my mom has a razr and she has not got her update

13. Justin says

Nothing in Indianapolis.

Verizon tech support is clueless – didn’t even know about the update. You would think Verizon would at least have a script for rollout update on one of their “most popular smart phone.”

14. Dennis says

Haha, I contacted Motorola on the 26th, asking if they knew when it would be actually released, and they came back saying that the ICS upgrade was not going to be released anytime soon. Obviously the hand and the foot aren’t talking at all.

15. rvng razr says

I’ve been.bouncing back and forth between the motor and vzw forums all day because like you I’d just about kill for this update at this point. And it appears to be rolling out nation wide with no real rhyme or reason as to who gets it first.

16. Herb says

Still waiting in Chicago. No notification and no update available when using phone to check for updates.

17. DBL says

Nothing in So. Fla., given Moto’s promise to have it out by the end of Q2, I’m not expecting to receive ICS before Saturday. It’s pretty weak that JellyBean is being released on devices before we get ICS…

18. Scott says

haven’t gotten my OTA yet. I Chose this phone in Nov for the Int’l calling capability that was promised, for a trip to Europe…def not going to happen in time now. I have been a loyal Moto champion since back in their nextel direct connect days. And have been a VZW customer for years now. I believe I am finally done with both. The death of the unlimited data plan, the immense bloatware, and now the deceptive (I’m being kind) marketing…it’s time for a change.
    I could live with this if there were some honesty, ownership and integrity but clearly they don’t mind losing a few customers. Great job Big Red.

• Randy Harris says

I agree completely. It’s very sad to love a phone like I love my razr from Motorola and have great coverage from Verizon, and be so fed up with customer service from both companies that you are ready to switch. Some honesty would have went a long way but really, I’ve been waiting for this update for six months. Now with the announcement of jelly bean it has taken all the fun out of getting ics. I’m really thinking Siri could be my new bff on AT&T. Hey Verizon, can you heart me new?

19. Ryan says

Hi All,

I just received the push to my phone this morning 6-28-12 in jacksonville,FL. However my wife did not receive the update, we both have droid razr’s that were purchased on the release date of 11-11-11. I tried to do the manual update for her under settings>system update and was unable to get the update for her. The android version is 4.0.4, system version 6.16.211.XT912.verizon.en.US Just confirming that the roll out is not BS…

20. SD says

Still no update for my Maxx here in Atlanta GA. After checking hundreds of times over the past week, I am starting to believe that “The watched phone never updates”

21. nate says

Nothing. Why would they have such lousy support for their best selling phone? At least just keep your mouth shut about it being upgradable and having any sort of date… if you cant keep the promise. Whatever … being grandfathered in to the unlimited data ill stay, but once im cut from that… bye bye!

22. Cody says

Also do they have a system? Or is it just random? Seems strange that some people just get it others don’t.

23. Jennifer says

No update yet in Arizona…. so tired of waiting. It better be worth it! And Motorola is not the hold up. It’s Verizon. Surprise Surprise.

24. Tim says

Just a ploy by Verizon and Motorola to con more people into running to the nearest store to purchase a new Razr……

Customer service in America has gone to ( ) “insert expletive”

Just give the businessman your money and then get bent. The biggest sign of this is when I go to the doctors office and they want my co-pay before they even provide the service, then make u sit two hours in the waiting room

• Michael says

Brag, brag, brag. I hope it is true. Tired of hearing about ICS. Congratulations if you really got it. It means they are rolling it out. Lets have lunch so I can see it.

• Matt says

It’s true alright. I got the message from Verizon saying my phone would be updated within the week last night, and my phone installed the update while I was sitting in traffic on the 101 this morning. Good luck! Hope you get it soon.

25. Adam says

No update yet here in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Been checking multiple times per day, still nothing.

26. Michael says

In Arizona with no up date yet. Jellybean is rolling out before a two year up date comes. Punch me in the gut.

27. clanzo125 says

Yes. I can confirm what Ryan said… I just opened my Wife’s Razr after reading some of the comments, and working myself into a tissy of pissyness, and there it was. A note saying it had been downloaded, but not installed.

The beautiful irony is that she could truly give a crap, meanwhile, I’ve been refreshing my “System Update” ever 5 minutes or so…

28. jelly bean says

29. Bryan says

ICS on my Droid RAZR as of last night. Funny thing is, my wife has a RAZR and she hasn’t gotten it yet…Eugene, OR.

30. jelly bean says

Your device is up to date! No update is necessary at this time. My phone its lying to me. I want my ice cream! If you ever saw ringers…when the f%*k did we get ice cream? Haha

31. Dennis says

Nothing here in Omaha Ne,
    Grrrr lets all play the waiting gaMe.
    Verizon and Moto are pissing me off
    me as well .. when my contact is up I’m
    Out! Nice phone, srry a$$ plans now
    Dont really care what its running …

32. Front says

Nothing here in Los Angeles. Maybe I’m just an unlucky one or Los Angeles has no actual priority. Which in reality it shouldn’t, but you would think it did.

• eccles227 says

HA! So true xD Camden area NJ and no update yet. SEEMS LIKE 99% of us are left hangin -.-

33. wolvy says

No update here in southwest FL. Like Mike above said, Jellybean is already out. Why the holdup on Verizon’s #1 sold phone. Sad!

34. RJ says

Still nothing here in Erie,PA. I am sick of seeing this message: Your device is up to date! No update is necessary at this time.

35. Rick says

No update as of yet on my Droid Razr.
    Statesboro, Georgia. Checking virtually hourly.
    I really wish my boss hadn’t told me that Verizon finally announced the rollout, now I’m anxiously checking my phone and getting disappointed T.T

36. wolvy says

Super late updates and now the “Share Plan” tiers. Verizon is sure hitting homeruns lately. They might become the next Netflix lol.

37. Hank says

VZW support told me 3 days ago that i should have it within the next day… Motorola’s 2.3 rom blows, but then again I was running CyanogenMod 7 on my last phone.

38. danie jungmann says

II live in eastern carolina in jacksonville and despite the fact that i repeatedly check for system updates it keeps telling me there isnt one.

39. Ashley says

I talked to a Motorola chat representitive today and they told me that the update has been out sine the 27th which was yesterday, and they also told me that the update is being sent out in batches so we basically have to wait for it to come to our phone, so we could get it today or tomorrow. Depends.

40. Sniper says

Remember when people used facebook to kick Bank of America? I think it’s time to show Motorola and Verizon who are the customers..people let’s play with Verizon.

41. Jeremy says

My Mom, who lives just south of Baltimore, MD, received the update on her Razr Maxx a couple of days ago. Still no dice for my Razr Maxx up here in Pittsburgh, PA.

• Rishi says

i live in the silver spring area in Maryland (about 40 minutes away from baltimore) still havent gotten the ICS update. this shit is ridiculous.

42. Jim says

Definitely please update when you do get an update, not just that you haven’t gotten it. Hopefully we can figure out some kind of pattern.

43. inablackout says

If you get the update you will be disapointed. I have it, its buggy. be patient people.

44. jeff says

hey blackout whats the deal. what’s buggy about it? none of us like motorola or verizon right now. i would b cautious not to side with them or be the calming voice of reason unless you have the answers we r all looking for.

45. Brandon says

I see there’s a lot of folks who still don’t have the ICS update. I’ve actually put together a tutorial on how to manually install the official ICS OTA update. If your interested, its at http://ics.branpute.net . Hope that helps some folks out :-)

46. i luv my phone says

Omg who cares about when they release it…i luv my razr maxx the way it is alrwady. Ill want the cherry cheesecake update anyway in october wich will prepare the phone for the flan update.

47. javid says

Well i spoke to a technical rep @ verizon and told hime all my roommates has ics except for me(we all have razr’s). He replied ” We recieved an email today from motorola and it says that the manual ICS update will be available on june 29th, tomorrow”. So i guess we will see.

• Arthur says

Lets sure hope so! I have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of this update, not because I need it but because of all this hype. Can’t wait to see what it’s gonna be like :D

48. nsanebird says

I received it today! I checked in with the server manually at 3 pm and received the update at 945 pm. It is coming guys and its sweet. Im in phx az

49. keith says

I manually installed ICS, it took forever. But its the official update that is bein.g released and it works great.

50. jaymz says

Just got my Razr’s ICS update a few hours ago at so far so good my phone seems faster and the gui is alot nicer and more sleek then gingerbread

51. DoeEyes67 says

STILL no ICS update for me (Atlanta). Sitting here with a Razr Maxx…Verizon’s Number one selling phone, with the OLDEST Android system and reading that they’re already pushing Jellybean today. Verizon, y’all are freaking idiots.

• csr says

Actually, jellybean its just being offered for tablets right now…just like ice cream sandwich was. We’re not idiots, just making sure the updates are as up to par as our customers would expect on a$300 phone.

• Yoshi says

Actually it’s on the nexus phone also…..so…. I’m waiting for the full jellybean to be released then side load that onto my RAZR lol. Will have to since i highly doubt MOTO or VZW will do it. Go Project Butter!! That being said….NO ICS Kansas City.

• stronglikelion says

I actually appreciate that. Id rather wait for something that works well than rush to get something buggy.

• Thomas says

The carriers are killing Android. I agree waiting for something stable is fine but how long is long enough. It is funny that community developers can release stable more up to date Rom’s quicker than the carriers / manufacturers who we pay alot of $$ to can :}

52. Non-Patiently Waiting says

It would be so funny if they delayed it some more to bring it up to Jelly Bean. LOL! Where is my ICS? ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

53. waiting4it says

No ICS in So Cal. Have had my Razr since they came out. This is my 4th Moto Droid with Verizon. WTF?

54. Crimsonrain says

Still waiting for the update….lol..wish my phone would say update coming instead of “your phone is up to date. No update necessary.”

55. Aaron says

I am still waiting for it. I am so tired of being told that ICS will arrive on a given day only to have that day come and go with no changes. I love Android, but I am growing weary of this tired game.

56. SD says

Still no update for my Maxx in Atlanta GA. Seems like there are less people on here today complaining like me….maybe they have received the update?

• jdog says

Nothing for my Maxx in Florida. Just chatted with Motorola and they said testing was complete and they are sending the update out in batches. They said b patient lol

57. Jose says

My Wife and I have the Maxx and she got the update last night. But no update for me. Maybe I’ll get mine in the next couple of days.

58. DTA says

My Razr has been stuck on 3G ever since I got my ICS on Wednesday 6/27. Also, my Data keeps going out. Occasionally it jumps back to 4g but for only a few seconds, taps out, then returns as 3G, but again keeps going out. Is there a fix for this? I’m getting frustrated.

59. Tony says

No ICS in Los Angeles at this point. I pride myself on being a really patient person, and while I’m not upset about how long it has taken to roll out this latest update, I am definitely frustrated. I have a Razr MAXX. I simply cannot believe that a company like Verizon which spends millions of dollars a year trying to convince people that they’re the greatest wireless company since–well–since the invention of, dare I say it–vanilla ice cream–can’t manage to get this update to its customers in a timely manner. I do not believe all who are eligible for ICS will have it by June 30th. It would not surprise me if some Razr and MAXX owners are still stuck in their Gingerbread houses weeks from now. Gingerbread is fine. But a promise is a promise Verizon.

60. tj says

Just checked for the update and there it was…so pumped!!! Lol downloading now and can’t wait to use it! (central NY) let there be ice cream!!

61. music says

No lie people its finally here!! Downloading right now!! When its done ima make sweet love to my girl….i made her wait til ics came out lol

62. DoeEyes67 says

Atlanta…..just checked the manual download. FINALLY! Way to take it to the 11th hour Verizon.

63. Brenda says

Woke up this morning and did not have any notifications of an available update. Went to settings, About Phone, System Updates and I am downloading ICS now near Akron Ohio!!! If you don’t have it yet, it’s coming!!!

64. Tippedhatnstogy says

Got my ics on the droid razr maxx last night about 10p local rural Arizona.
    Now the wait for jelly bean for my xoom.

65. jared says

I got it a few days ago. Wish i didn’t. My phone locks up on occasion, the battery life is worse, the typing is screwed up, and my amoLED display is washed out.